Electrical engineer for precision bunch arrival monitoring in accelerators
For our location in Hamburg we are seeking:
Electrical engineer for precision bunch arrival monitoring in accelerators Limited: 3 years | Starting date: earliest possible | ID: MMA022/2021 | Deadline: open | Full-time/Part-time
DESY, with its more than 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world's leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The MSK Group develops, builds and operates complex control, synchronization and feedback systems for beam control and beam diagnostics for DESY's accelerators, including FLASH, PETRA III and the European XFEL.
About your role:
- Development, construction and commissioning of an RF cavity-based instrument for measuring arrival-time with femtosecond temporal resolution
- Collection of system specifications through measurements on a particle accelerator and computer simulations
- Design, manufacturing and testing of a digitizer organized around the Xilinx RFSoC. The form factor of choice is AMC operating in a MicroTCA.4 environment. The emphasis is on low noise design
- Programming of Ultrascale+ FPGAs, digital signal processing and development of drift-calibration algorithm in firmware is a possible extension of work
- Involvement in the construction, testing and evaluation of the beam arrival-time monitor at the particle accelerators ARES and REGAE located on DESY campus
- Completed scientific higher education MSc or PhD in electrical engineering, physics or comparable skills with several years work experiences in electrical engineering
- Several years of experience in Digital Systems Engineering
- Very good knowledge of digital PCB design and its production: solid knowledge of Altium PCB design tools, experiences with high density, multilayer, high speed digital PCB designs
- Solid understanding of PCB signal integrity
- Experience in data post processing languages such as Python or Matlab is required
- Good knowledge of FPGA programming is advantagous
- Knowledge of RF receiver architectures is advantagous
- Strong teamwork and very good English skills
- This role requires independent work ethic and the ability to take initiative
Good reasons to join:
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. Gender equality is an important aspect for us. To support work life balance we offer flexible working hours, variable part-time and job-sharing. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration is in according to the regulations of the TV AVH.
For further information please contact Holger Schlarb at +49 40-8998-4454 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
We look forward to receiving your application via our application portal.
DESY promotes equal opportunities and diversity. The professional development of women is very important to us and therefore we strongly encourage women to apply for the vacant position. Applications from severely disabled persons will be given preference if they are equally qualified.
You can find further information here:
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392