Aerospace Sciences Team Leader, Platform Systems Division
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- Fareham, UK
- Closing date
- 5 Apr 2023
- Computational science & software engineering, Defence & aerospace
- Job type
- Research facilities
As Dstl’s first line of management, your primary purpose as a Team Leader (TL) is to provide leadership to the people in your team. This has a balance of leading / managing people and technical leadership, ensuring the development and delivery of capability to meet current and future demand.
A Team Leader may also fulfil other roles as part of their technical contribution but not to the detriment of their line management responsibilities.
The successful candidate will be expected to participate in delivery of projects, project technical leadership, coaching and mentoring staff.
The Platform Systems Division of Dstl supports the Ministry of Defence and wider government in a broad range of ground breaking technical research areas. We respond to current and future demands ensuring that the UK retains a battle-winning advantage.
The Aerospace Sciences team has core capabilities in the flight sciences disciplines of Aerodynamics, Flight Dynamics & Control, and Structures. It’s purpose is to provide high-quality technical leadership, innovative ideas and solutions, advice and guidance in these disciplines. The work includes design and trials/testing using UK and international facilities.
The team works at the cutting edge of Science and Technology on highly innovative and transformational air vehicle projects. You would join us at an exciting time with the team’s skills in high demand to support growth areas such as the Global Combat Air Programme, the Hypersonic Weapons Programme and support to the RAF Rapid Capabilities Office.
We collaborate with partners in industry, academia, and internationally. We work hand in hand to accelerate the development, demonstration and exploitation of aerospace technologies to deliver critical military advantage to front line operators.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In this role you will:
- Develop & sustain capability (people relationships, infrastructure, knowledge, licences to practice) to provide technical/scientific contribution to current and future projects across Dstl through effective use of the Team’s resources/expertise;
- Maintain awareness of current and future demand requirements;
- Understand and use the different resource options to ensure an appropriate mix of team members;
- Understand and effectively develop capability to align with Division Capability plans;
- Build resilience through succession planning, including developing future leaders;
- Direct Line management of a team of ca.15 Team Members;
- Enable effective performance management and development of team members;
- Allocate employees to tasks or projects based on requirements
- Coach and support Team Members career and personal development;
- Ensure that people have the necessary skills and competencies for the tasks assigned;
- Ensure employees have knowledge of and conform to all safety and security and resilience requirements;
- Build employees engagement and create an environment which nurtures excellence through;
- setting the direction for team, including how the team fits with strategic aims;
- creating a positive and inclusive working environment that aligns with Dstl Values, champions diversity and enables employees to excel
- communicating and owning difficult mesages;
- challenging and addressing poor performance;
- recognising and highlighting high performance;
- networking with other Team Leaders and stakeholders to share good practice and ensure a coherent approach;
- Implement Dstl’s policies and ensure compliance with the Management System;
- Provide individual technical/professional contribution as agreed with Line Manage;
- Allocation of employees to all leadership roles on projects (PM, PTA, LTR);
- Appointment of Capability Advisers to a programme.
We are looking for someone who has:
- The ability to quickly develop good working relationships with a variety of people;
- Good networking skills;
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with a wide range of issues/challenges;
- Persistence to see things through to a conclusion;
- Passion for developing capability and people;
- The ability to lead through change;
- Able to communicate coherently and sensitively, explaining complex issues in a way that is easy to understand;
- Emotional Intelligence, able to understand own and others reactions, motivations etc.;
- Able to handle conflicting priorities successfully delivering to changing requirements;
- Able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture;
- Communicating and Influencing;
- Developing Self and Others;
- Delivering at Pace;
- Changing and Improving.
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Flexible working: Full flexibility working options include alternative working patterns, compressed hours, job shares and annualised hours. Remote working may be available dependent on role.
Flexible working hours: Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
Annual leave: 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
Learning and Development: Dstl encourages and supports charterships, accreditations and provides employees access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Dstl will pay for 2 memberships with relevant bodies/institutions. Employees also have access to Civil Service Learning.
Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
Our Diversity Networks
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network;
- Race, Faith and Culture Network;
- Parents and Carer Support Network;
- Alternative Working Network;
- Gender Equality Network;
- New Starters Network;
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles (opens in a new window), and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do all we can to support you.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Successful candidates must undergo a criminal record check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check (opens in a new window).
See our vetting charter (opens in a new window).
People working with government assets must complete baseline personnel security standard (opens in new window) checks.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code (opens in a new window) sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission’s recruitment principles (opens in a new window).
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
The Civil Service also offers a Redeployment Interview Scheme to civil servants who are at risk of redundancy, and who meet the minimum requirements for the advertised vacancy.
Apply and further information
This vacancy is part of the Great Place to Work for Veterans (opens in a new window) initiative.
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Name: Dstl Recruitment
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) is the science and technology arm of the Ministry of Defence. As part of the UK Government we do sensitive and specialist work that cannot be done anywhere else. We’re dedicated to keeping the UK safe and secure by using world-leading science and technology. Our work has one aim – protecting lives. Our experts make innovative scientific advancements, sometimes with international impact.
Why work for us
At Dstl, we bring together the best people with the best ideas and apply science and technology in unexpected ways. Our position in defence brings strong links to the armed forces, giving us access and insight to our military personnel and their operational challenges. The solutions we deliver cover everything from long-term research and analysis, through to rapid development in support of current operations with the potential to save lives. Working with other government departments, universities and businesses, we develop battle-winning technologies that support UK military operations – now and into the future.
At Dstl, you’ll find a workforce of respected scientists and professionals who specialize in many different disciplines. We value and champion collaboration, impact and innovation, and we work with some of the most talented professionals and academics in the world. To achieve our goals, we promote and support the use of flexible working patterns to enable staff to enjoy a healthy work/life balance.
We’re always looking for the best technical and scientific minds who are looking for a career with a difference. You’ll need a relevant qualification, a flair for solving problems and a passion for new technologies. Above all, you must want to make a difference now and in the future.
Training and development
We offer an extensive range of technical and professional training that’s relevant for your career and your future ambitions, delivered both in-house and externally. We’ll support you with Chartership and accreditation, and fund up to two professional memberships for you each year.
What we are looking for
Launch your career at Dstl as a:
- Graduate: if you join Dstl as a graduate you will put theory into practise, applying what you’ve learnt to the real-world problems that we’re solving right now. You will be contributing to important projects and supported by mentors and leading scientists.
- Student: we have 12- or three-month internships available to experience what a career in science means.
- Apprentice: we offer apprenticeships, up to degree level, giving you the chance to earn while you learn.
We have a variety of roles advertised on our website all year round as well as graduate and apprenticeship opportunities.
UK; Porton Down (Salisbury, Wiltshire), Portsdown West (Fareham, Hampshire)
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Graduate engineer, graduate scientist, graduate statistician, graduate operational researcher and analyst, graduate project manager, analysts, scientist, engineer, cyber, software
Desired degree disciplines/class
A STEM degree
UK national and eligibility to work in the UK (for security clearance purposes)
How to apply
Apply online at www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk and search for Dstl
All year round. Graduate and apprenticeships recruitment every autumn/winter
Tel +44 (0)1980 950000
- +44 (0)1980 618484
Room G01 Building
5 Porton Down
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert