Nuclear Fuel Performance Engineer
- EDF Energy
- London, UK
- From £50,000 dependent on experience, plus benefits
- Closing date
- 8 Apr 2023
Location: Gloucester Business Park. Flexible home and office working supported.
Salary: From £50,000 dependent on experience, plus benefits
Employment type: Permanent/ Full Time
Closing date: 29th March 2023
Join EDF as a Nuclear Fuel Performance Engineer, and you’ll join one of the most exciting and challenging projects within EDF, as we continue to lead the rebirth of nuclear in the UK.
At Hinkley Point C (HPC) we are building two new nuclear reactors, the first in a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK providing low carbon electricity for around six million homes.
As a Nuclear Fuel Performance Engineer, you will support the safe and reliable operation of the nuclear fuel while it is in the reactor core or in ex-reactor facilities. This role will involve software modelling, safety analysis, and issuing of operational advice concerning the performance of the nuclear fuel. You will cover the nuclear fuel at EDF Energy’s UK operating fleet, and the new reactors currently being built at Hinkley Point C.
Pay, benefits and culture
Alongside a salary from £50,000, we offer a competitive benefits package, including a company pension scheme, a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle, and the opportunity to earn bonus.
At EDF, everyone’s welcome. We strive to create an inclusive and diverse environment where everyone has a voice and where you feel confident being yourself. We’re committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We’d like our future workforce to have an equal gender balance, represent a broad mix of people from minority ethnic backgrounds, LGBTQ+, those with a disability and supporting social mobility.
We’re a disability confident employer and we’ll do all we can to help with your application, making adjustments as you need.
We’ll value the difference you bring and offer opportunities for you to thrive and succeed.
What you’ll be doing
- Performing AGR and PWR Fuel Performance assessments. This will include substantial data analysis, statistical interpretation, and graphical presentation;
- Maintaining, developing, and validating the AGR and PWR Fuel Performance assessment methodologies and modelling codes;
- Advising operating AGR and PWR power stations on the appropriate operational envelope for the fuel to ensure nuclear safety;
- Providing authoritative advice and judgement on the performance of AGR and PWR nuclear fuel in both normal and abnormal situations;
- Developing, maintaining and running software on UNIX/LINUX operating systems to underpin a variety of assessments of nuclear fuel performance;
- Reviewing technical reports submitted by suppliers for their acceptability to specification, quality and adequacy.
Who you are
Your background should include some of the following:
- A passion for understanding the detailed behaviour of high integrity engineered components operating in adverse environments;
- Qualification or relevant experience in materials science or a complimentary technical discipline (e.g. applied physics, engineering, chemistry);
- Practical experience with the UNIX/LINUX operating system environment, specifically experience of PERL scripting (or other comparable computer language);
- Practical experience of software development and/or maintenance lifecycle. Specific experience in FORTRAN will be additionally beneficial;
- Practical experience of processing, analysing, and presenting large data sets;
- The ability to solve mathematical problems through numerical analysis either by hand or with computer-based tools;
- Experience presenting complex technical information to regulators, senior stakeholders, and customers.
Join us and together we can help Britain achieve Net Zero.
EDF Energy is a British integrated energy company, wholly owned by the French state-owned EDF, with operations spanning electricity generation and the sale of natural gas and electricity to homes and businesses throughout the United Kingdom.
40 Clerkenwell Close
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert