- IOP Publishing
- Europe, China, USA remote
- Negotiable salary + excellent benefits
- Closing date
- 24 Mar 2023
- Education & communications
- Job type
- Science administration & media
Reports on Progress in Physics spearheads IOP Publishing’s (IOPP) portfolio of physical science journals as a top-tier title with a long-term vision to bring together and serve researchers in all areas of physics and related subject disciplines through the publication of world-leading research and outstanding author and reader service.
To fully realise this vision we require an ambitious Chief Editor who will establish and define the future of Reports on Progress in Physics as a world-leading publication for the physical sciences. Working as part of a dynamic editorial and publishing environment this stimulating role demands a passion for science and an understanding of the needs of authors, readers, and reviewers in the changing world of academic publishing. The successful candidate will be dynamic, outgoing and have excellent interpersonal skills. Broad scientific knowledge, strategic vision, excellent communication and networking skills, and strong leadership qualities are prerequisites.
The Chief Editor will lead the editorial and strategic development of Reports on Progress in Physics to establish it as a high-prestige, top-tier journal for original research, and deliver an associated programme of future open access titles positioned at the pinnacle of IOPP’s journals programme, ensuring quality, impact and quantity of output to the agreed content framework. The successful applicant will be directly responsible for determining the journal’s scientific scope and editorial direction, as well as ensuring the quality of its published content and peer review service, as the leader of the publishing team.
Key job accountabilities include:
- Develop and deliver content development and commissioning strategies for increasing the number of high-quality submissions, usage, citations and other measures of success for the journal, in line with the journal’s high prestige and top-tier positioning;
- Have leadership and managerial responsibilities for the Editorial Board and in-house editorial team members, and coordinate the peer review service and evaluation of submissions in line with identified acceptance criteria to ensure the quality, value and top-tier positioning of the journal;
- To be a highly visible internal and external figurehead of Reports on Progress in Physics (and the prospective associated top-tier programme) through attendance and participation at relevant scientific conferences/workshops (including speaking/panel engagements and social media activity);
- To lead, in collaboration with the Community Engagement and Marketing (CEM) team and our regional offices, a programme of activities to maximise the international visibility and impact of the journal’s content and authors (including author interviews, journalistic coverage, webinars/scientific workshops and other identified tactics).
Successful applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Postgraduate qualification in a physical science;
- Subject expertise, a passion for science and extensive editorial experience working on an academic journal in the physical sciences, including an understanding of the specific needs and expectations of the global research community from a top-tier journal in terms of content, the peer review process and overall publishing service;
- Excellent communication and networking skills to provide internal and external advocacy for Reports on Progress in Physics and its prospective programme of titles;
- Team leadership skills and management experience, and a proven ability to engage, influence and develop strong networks with international researchers and labs across the physical sciences;
- Knowledge and experience of the STM publishing landscape. An understanding of open access, including current trends and mandates, would be beneficial but not essential;
- A creative mindset and the ability to bring energy, ideas and new approaches to journal strategy and portfolio development.
We know it is unusual for someone to tick every box so if you don’t meet all the criteria, but demonstrate most of the skills and experience we are looking for and have the enthusiasm to work with us, go ahead and apply.
What we offer:
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer employees an excellent pension scheme (up to 10% company contribution), discretionary annual bonus scheme, 25+ days holiday (not including bank holidays), standard 35-hour working week, volunteering days, and a comprehensive benefits package including private medical insurance, life assurance, and a range of flexible benefits such as cycle to work scheme, discounted gym membership, healthcare cash plan, and childcare vouchers.
This role is open to candidates worldwide on a remote basis. Applicants in the UK can also work from our Bristol office on a hybrid or permanent basis.
To apply, please submit your CV and cover note through our careers site.
We aim to review applications soon after they are received, so please don’t hold off applying until the closing date is approaching - we don’t want you, or us, to miss out!
IOP Publishing is an international scientific publisher, through which leading-edge research is distributed worldwide. Our rapidly expanding journals programme is published alongside other sources of scientific information in the form of eBooks, magazines and conference proceedings. Other publications include easily accessible community and regional websites. We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community and have offices in Europe, Asia and the US. Working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish.
IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society. Any financial surplus earned by IOP Publishing goes to supporting science through the activities of the Institute. With a continuing focus on growth, we recognise that every single person has a real part to play if we’re to achieve our aim of becoming the world’s leading publisher in our field.
IOP Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is natural and sustainable, visible through the work we produce, our company branding, our professional networks and the communities we serve and support, which includes our employees, talent communities and candidates. We particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
IOP Publishing is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Institute of Physics, a leading scientific society with a worldwide membership of physicists from all sectors. Complementing the Institute’s mission of promoting physics and bringing physicists together for the benefit of all, IOP Publishing provides a range of journals, ebooks, magazines, conference proceedings and websites for the scientific community. Any profits generated by the publishing company are used by the Institute to support science and scientists in both the developed and developing world.
Why work for us
IOP Publishing provides a friendly, positive, open, relaxed but purposeful environment. People who come to work here tend to stay. This is because it feels like you come to work with your friends, not just colleagues. We like to think that we’ve got the kind of environment that encourages people to do well and to enjoy what they do. We believe in treating each other with respect, providing an opportunity for you to contribute to our future. IOP Publishing is a great place to work.
Our success is made possible by the talent, energy and commitment of our people to the company and what we do. This success is founded on having the right people in the right place, in an environment in which they can flourish.
What we are looking for
As an organization, we are the sum of our parts. While we employ specialists in a range of fields, all our employees share a number of qualities and attributes: our people are professional and dedicated, talented and energetic. They work collaboratively to help us expand in a rapidly changing scientific landscape.
The IOP Publishing culture is one of growth, learning and innovation, and we are looking for people who want to develop, innovate and succeed; people who see the exciting opportunities that digital publishing has to offer.
UK, USA, China, India, Japan and Russia
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Editorial assistant, associate editor, publisher, platform engineer, product manager, project manager, marketing executive
How to apply
All year round
Tel +44 (0)117 929 7481
- +44 (0)117 929 7481
No.2 The Distillery
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert