Mechanical Engineer - Discipline Expert
The European Spallation Source, ESS, a partnership of European countries, is hiring motivated and inspired people to plan, design, and construct the world’s most powerful neutron source. We seek ambitious, talented people in different fields who are excited about playing a part in the future of science in Europe.
ESS can offer a variety of things, such as passionate and international colleagues, a vibrant melting pot of diversity, and a challenging, exciting and high paced work environment. We value and need expertise, innovative minds and great ways of leading and interacting with people from all over the world.
ESS is now looking for a Mechanical Engineer - Discipline Expert for the Engineering & Integration Support (EIS) division, organised within the Technical Directorate.
The EIS division is the central engineering and technical division providing transversal support and services to the ESS project and organisation. Today, the division is divided into: Design & Engineering Group and PLM & Process support Group, as well two additional main functions: Enterprise Asset Management & Technical Information projects, and Systems Engineering & Technical Content Management team. The vacant position belongs to the Mechanical Engineering and Technology Section within the Design & Engineering Group.
Your main areas of responsibilities as a Mechanical Engineer - Discipline Expert will be to:
- Provide mechanical engineering expertise within & outside the ESS engineering teams and ESS external collaborators
- Use own experience on mechanical discipline on advanced engineering concepts and methods to develop mechanical systems and equipment, oversee manufacturing, and support the system transition via commissioning to operation
- Lead mechanical design packages and partially work packages in view of ESS machines’ upgrades and expansions
- Review mechanical engineering content, including but not limited to 2D drawings, tolerance chain analysis, ISO specification and related design and manufacturing activities.
- Introduce and own new rules & regulations at ESS, generate and maintain engineering processes of ESS, act as the engineering policy holder within the Mechanical Engineering discipline.
- Generate and update conceptual, draft, detailed and manufacturing drawings (and models) in CATIA
- Generate, maintain and update drawings in CATIA environment and interact/archive them in CHESS (the ESS in-house CAD management software tool)
- Generate 2D design from Requirements input
- Generate 2D design from 3D input
- Generate 3D model from 2D input
- Coordinate technical/engineering information and act as the engineering point of contact for ESS internal and external partners
- Direct participation in the operations of the Mechanical Measurements Lab, systems assembly and installations: Activities and work can take place in labs, experimental underground areas and on surface assembly halls.
- Oversee field engineering activities and participate in the design and execution of mechanical testing including but not limited to fatigue tests, non-destructive testing, mechanical & materials testing.
- Document and present your work as appropriate
- Perform duties and actions in accordance with ESS regulations on environmental health and safety
The successful candidate should have the following experience:
- Higher Technical or University engineering degree on mechanical engineering or equivalent degree in related engineering field
- Good experience on norms and regulations for mechanical design and mechanical engineering
- Minimum eight (8) years of professional CAD mechanical design engineering experience on 3D modelling & 2D technical drawing
- Substantial design experience of machine parts and complex assemblies by means of CAD software
- Minimum five (5) years of working experience in CATIA design
- Experience to detailed drawings, manufacturing design, as-built and redline drawings
- Knowledge of basic engineering in closely related disciplines (i.e. civil, electrical etc.)
- Experience in preparing consistently and presenting effectively design reports, engineering and operations procedures, specifications, and technical presentations
- Experience on assessing responsibility and leading design packages (dedicated design projects to be completed in a specified amount of time)
- Experience on supervising design projects and engineering resources
- Experience in leading engineering projects and multi-disciplinary deliverables
- Experience in autonomous work, limited supervision and project management activities
The following skills and experience would be considered an asset:
- MSc or higher degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Aerospace, Nuclear)
- Knowledge of ISO and GPS tolerancing
- Experience from mechanical testing, simulations, FEA and design limit criteria
- Broad experience on the mechanical engineering field will be considered as an asset (e.g. thermomechanical simulation, deformable body mechanics)
Experience and knowledge of technical documentation and configuration management
- Relevant experience in designing mechanical apparatuses fulfilling specific needs for accelerator and detector environments
- Design in particular scientific instrumentation, vacuum systems, accelerator systems, targets for scientific tests, systems operating in radiation areas and other related systems
- Design calibration and maintenance process and test equipment and apparatuses
- Work experience on mechanical standards parts and engineering catalogues
- Experience on accelerator-based facilities is a tangible plus.
Experience of working in an international environment is essential. Excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite.
We truly believe that you are able to work independently, can drive your work forward and prioritize among tasks. You need to be a quick learner, be able to cope with intense work periods and be able to deliver quality results on time.
Duration & Location
The position is permanent with six months initial probationary period
Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae in English by clicking on “apply” and follow the instructions. Please note that we only accept applications via the ESS website.
For some roles at ESS health check-ups and security clearance are required, and thus this might be applicable in the final parts of the recruitment process. The applicant is expected to be fit to perform the applicable tasks of this recruitment.
The deadline for applications is 2021-12-05.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process.
For further information regarding the position, please contact the Recruiting Manager, Nick Gazis, Section Leader for Mechanical Engineering and Technology, nick.gazis[at]ess.eu.
For further information regarding the recruitment process, please contact HR Officer, Tina Nilsson, tina.nilsson[at]ess.eu
We look forward to receiving your application!