Computational Plasma Physics - Post Doctoral Researcher
Livermore, CA, USA
Job Code 1: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Category: Physical Life Sciences
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: Not applicable
Pre-Employment Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Referral Bonus: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of computational plasma physics. You will carry out kinetic modelling of bounded plasma devices where strong electron emission from surfaces plays a crucial role. You will further this field of research by developing more advanced, realistic continuum or particle simulations relevant to plasma research areas of interest such as tokamak divertors and various low temperature plasma science applications. In addition, you will have the opportunity to participate in novel experiments on emitting surface sheath effects being planned at Department of Energy (DOE)-funded plasma science user facilities. This position is in the Theory and Computations Group of the Fusion Energy Sciences Program in the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Build parallel continuum or particle simulation codes that capture interior plasma phenomena, the bounding sheaths, and surface electron emission self-consistently.
- Make connections between simulation data and measured experimental behaviors.
- Write and publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals.
- Present results at external conferences, seminars, and technical meetings.
- Share research progress updates at regular internal meetings.
- Pursue research interests independent from (but complementary to) the main project.
- Interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics or related discipline.
- Experience with plasma simulation code development.
- Basic knowledge of magnetic fusion and low temperature plasma science applications.
- Knowledge of plasma-surface interactions and sheath physics.
- Ability to help plan validation experiments and analyze the data.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Proficient written, verbal, and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate with other technical or administrative staff and explain/present technical information to a broad audience
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
LLNS is committed to offering reasonable accommodations during the application and recruiting processes due to a disability. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.