Radiochemistry Postdoctoral Researcher
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 21 Mar 2023
- Nuclear, fusion & energy
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a major role in development of novel radiochemical separation and quantification techniques for nuclear forensics. You will develop systems tailored towards rapid separation of radionuclides, produce isotopes using neutron and charge-particle irradiation methods, and develop accurate radiochemical measurement techniques. This position is in the Nuclear and Radiochemistry group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Develop experimental methods, separation techniques, and analytical approaches needed to collect and isolate radioactive isotopes produced at accelerator and/or reactor facilities.
- Develop automated chemical platforms for measurements of radionuclides.
- Perform radioanalytical measurements, analyze data, and interpret results.
- Prepare and conduct technical presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Document research, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship
- PhD in Nuclear Chemistry, Nuclear Physics, Nuclear Engineering, Radiochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with laboratory instrumentation and associated software controls and designing, assembling, and running nuclear science experiments based on radiochemical or nuclear chemistry methods.
- Experience with UV/Vis spectroscopy, and charged-particle and gamma-ray detectors and radiation counting and their associated data analyses.
- Ability to safely work with radioactive materials (> 1 microCurie)
- Ability to develop experimental methods, separation techniques, and analysis approaches needed for radiochemical measurements.
- Experience with radionuclide separation methods, such as solvent extraction, ion exchange chromatography, and extraction chromatography
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in experimental nuclear science to help solve a variety of programmatic challenges in national security, with experience in data analysis and interpretation.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert