RF Communication, Network and Software Engineers - Counter Terrorism and Security
Dstl Porton Down, Salisbury, Wiltshire
About the job
The Electronic Warfare & Comms Group is the lead for specialist Communications and Electronic Warfare aspects of Dstl’s Counter Terrorism and Security capability. We provide science and engineering support for military and security operations and conduct research and development in areas including communications technologies and systems, electronic engineering and systems applications.
The Group’s purpose is to provide Users with state of the art technological developments that confers operational advantage and freedom of action. The Group is one of the largest and most technically diverse groups within Dstl, and we have opportunities for a number of experienced Electronics, Communications and RF Engineers to join our growing capability, with a primary focus to support Counter Terrorism and Military Operations covering a broad range of Science and Technology (S&T) for the Ministry of Defence (MOD) and Other Government Departments (OGDs).
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
We are looking for someone who has;
- A proven understanding of electronics, RF communications, network and software engineering that may include: embedded hardware and software research and product design; military electronics and fixed and mobile radio systems; information systems technology, wireless and non wireless networking protocols and network design; Antenna design and EM modelling; digital signal processing and signal analysis techniques, RF field measurements and EMC
- An aptitude to undertake scientific analysis from experimental results, formulate conclusions and propose viable recommendations
- Ability to conduct a variety of activities to ensure system hardware and software are robust and resilient and suitable for operational use
- A flexible approach to work and an eagerness to respond to urgent customer requirements at short notice
- Ability to rapidly adapt to changes in the work that is carried out day-to-day and efficiently gain skills in new and unfamiliar technologies
- A demonstrable interest in science and technology
In this role you will;
- Manage and/or participate in laboratory testing, analysis and field trials to provide robust scientific evidence in support of research and procurement activities.
- Provide timely, impartial, evidence-based advice to customers/users to enable them to make informed decisions on suitability, compatibility, ability and integration of equipment.
- Organise your own time and workload to complete your work within agreed time scales.
- Establish effective working relationships and implement best practice through the development of appropriate networks across Dstl.
- Engage in professional self-development.
For Senior Role (Level 5) in addition to above:
- Ensure the Group delivers valuable output to a range of customers by leading technical projects or project tasks under direction of the Project Manager or Project Technical Authority.
- Technical mentoring of junior team members and wider collaboration including interaction with customers, partner organisations and industry.
- Communication of key technical results and recommendations to our partner community.
- Provide technical guidance, technical assurance and direction to staff at all levels as the Technical Authority for complex projects.
For Principal Role (Level 6-7) in addition to above:
- Leadership attributes with technical authority of a small team to deliver complex projects.
- Systems Engineering skills to manage and deliver complex projects
- Deep technical or niche specialisms in specific Subject Matter
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
These role will require Developed Vetting clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
Individuals within DSTL who hold dual nationality and currently hold the required clearance level may apply. If found suitable for the role further security discussions will need to take place before a formal offer can be made.
If you are a current Dstl employee, you are encouraged to inform your line manager of your application as they can support you through the process and should you be successful it will help in negotiating a release date.
Dstl is strongly encouraging blended and flexible working either at one of our sites or from home or both. We want to empower you to undertake your duties at the most appropriate location for the task, however you will be allocated a Dstl site as a base. You may be required to travel to other Dstl and MoD sites as required.
- Education at Degree Level or equivalent qualification/experience in Electronic Engineering, RF/Communication Engineering or a related discipline
- Minimum Grade C in GCSE Math's and English or equivalent qualification
- Specific for Network Role - CISCO or related qualification/experience
Membership of relevant professional bodies is desirable but not a requirement. Employees at Dstl are encouraged to pursue membership and higher levels of professional accreditation as part of their professional development.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Developing Self and Others
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
We'll provide a great range of benefits including;
- Fully flexible working, including alternative working patterns, annualised hours, compressed hours and job share, to name a few.
- Flexible Working hours, a 12 month reference period and the ability to bank hours. Up to 37 hours can be taken in any calendar month
- Excellent learning and development to ensure everyone fulfils their potential.
- Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks full pay followed by 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid, and paternity leave of 2 weeks full pay.
- Chartership and accreditation support.
- Generous annual leave, with the ability to buy and sell up to 5 days holiday per year.
- A competitive salary.
- Onsite gyms and restaurants.
- Staff discounts for high street and online shopping, restaurants and days out.
Our Diversity Networks
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution. We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work.
These include the following;
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is developed vetting.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team firstname.lastname@example.org and we will do all we can to support you.
We offer a guaranteed interview for all disabled applicants who provide evidence in their application of meeting the minimum essential requirements of the post, set out in the job description. You will be asked to indicate if you are applying under this scheme when you submit your application.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.), Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
Applications will be sifted when the Job ad closes and we will assess you on your CV & personal statement & how it matches the requirements for the role as detailed in the attached Job description.
Interviews will be held week commencing 29th November 2021 and will consist of a combined technical and behavioural interview assessing your skills and experience in relation to the job description.
Due to the current situation interviews are likely to be held via video link and full details will be sent to you should you be invited to an interview.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
Open to UK nationals only.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Job contact: Dstl Recruitment
Should you wish to raise a formal complaint about the Dstl recruitment process you should email email@example.com stating the nature of the issue. We will respond within 5 working days.
£25,052 - £57,480
Dstl Career Level 4 - 7
DSTL - Counter Terrorism & Security Division
Type of role
Flexible working, Full-time, Job share
Number of posts