Fullstack developer for data automation
- European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
- Grenoble, France
- Closing date
- 15 Apr 2023
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
Would you like to help manage, infer, validate, analyse, visualise and make open access some of world’s newest and most complex bioimaging, materials and paleo data?
As part of a group of 10 engineers, you will participate in a project focusing on the implementation of FAIR data management practices of datasets for the Human Organ Atlas (https://human-organ-atlas.esrf.eu) and Materials Science data hub.
In the context of the ESRF upgrade programme, the production and quality of scientific data have been boosted significantly. Large volumes of high-quality data are being produced using the Hip-CT technique in the fields of the histology, materials science and paleontology. You will work in close collaboration with software engineers working on data management, databases, data processing, metadata collection and web portals.
Interacting with scientists and users to automate their needs in data management, your missions will be the following:
- Automate the collection of domain-specific metadata for large data volumes;
- Develop workflows to curate data with associated metadata automatically;
- Develop workflows to control the quality of the processed data;
- Restructure and extend web portal for human organs, materials science and paleontology;
- Liaise with data scientists working on data processing;
- Set up processes to transfer data automatically;
- Higher university degree (Master or equivalent diploma offering 300 ECTS) in Computer Science, Engineering, Science or equivalent;
- Ideally, a minimum of 2 years of professional experience. Newly graduated students are invited to apply as well;
- Strong knowledge of Python and experience developing web applications;
- Good knowledge of metadata, data formats and workflows;
- Experience with ReactJS will be considered an advantage;
- Familiarity working on a Linux environment;
- Good communication and team spirit;
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF).
Fixed term contract, up to 36 months.
The salary will be calculated on the basis of relevant qualifications and professional experience.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? Apply now for your next professional adventure!
What we offer:
- Join an innovative international research institute, with a workforce from 38 different countries;
- Collaborate with global experts to advance science and address societal challenges;
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe’s Green Capital 2022;
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life;
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble.
For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html.
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.
The ESRF is a landmark for fundamental and innovation-driven research, providing scientists from all over the world with the most brilliant X-rays to unveil the structure of materials and the mechanisms of life, down to atomic resolution. Our teams contribute to addressing the complex global challenges that our society faces.
Why work for us
For more than 30 years, the ESRF has enabled major scientific breakthroughs in the understanding of living and condensed matter. With its new Extremely Brilliant Source (EBS), the ESRF is opening new vistas for X-ray science, providing a growing community of scientists with unique facilities to tackle the complex global challenges facing our society. Scientific and technical interdisciplinarity are at the core of the ESRF’s success.
Training and development
The ESRF provides a unique and vibrant setting for early-career scientists, engineers and technical staff to train and develop their scientifc and technical abilities, thus driving the transfer of expertise to other research projects, to industry and to society at large. At the ESRF, we dedicate a significant part of our yearly budget to training our staff. Our human resources policy encourages internal mobility and many of our staff members have the opportunity to change jobs during their career.
The ESRF supports many initiatives and public events aimed at sharing knowledge of science and engaging with a diverse range of audiences, including school students and young children. At the heart of this mission, the ESRF offers different educational programmes for students of all levels.
Each year, the HERCULES European school, the Joint Universities Accelerator School, and the joint International Summer Student programme that we run with the Institut Laue-Langevin, offer introductory lectures and specialized courses, practical sessions, tutorials and visits to other European research facilities.
What we are looking for
We are looking for passionate and curious people who are eager to collaborate in an eminently international open environment.
We welcome people who wish to contribute to a better understanding of the world around us and to inspire and drive progress.
We welcome people in many different disciplines (e.g. science, engineering, management) who contributes, through their diversity (gender, nationality, language, culture) and their professional skills to push the frontiers of science.
Number of employees
Main areas of research
The ESRF has defined seven EBS Science goals, in line with UNESCO’s objectives for sustainable development and with the global challenges identifed by the EU’s Horizon Europe research and innovation programme:
- Health innovation, overcoming diseases and pandemics
- Materials for tomorrow’s innovative and sustainable industry
- Clean energy transition, sustainable energy storage and clean hydrogen technologies
- Planetary research and geoscience
- Environmental and climatic challenges
- Bio-based economy and food security
- Humanity and world cultural heritage
Positions recently recruited for
Scientists, postdocs, PhD students, engineers, technicians, administration, management
Desired degree disciplines/class
From apprenticeship to PhD, in various disciplines (e.g. science, engineering, management, administration)
How to apply
Apply online at esrf.gestmax.eu/search. For further information contact email@example.com
All year round
Tel +33 04 76 88 20 19
71 avenue des Martyrs
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert