Director of Physical Sciences
3 days left
- Job type
- Research facilities
Director of Physical Sciences
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth and environmental sciences.
Diamond is one of the most advanced scientific facilities in the world, and its pioneering capabilities and talented staff are helping to keep the UK at the forefront of scientific research.
At Diamond we are beginning a major upgrade of the facility, known as Diamond-II. Diamond-II will combine a new machine and new beamlines with a comprehensive series of upgrades to optics, detectors, sample environments, sample delivery capabilities and computing, which will ultimately generate an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy.
About the Role
We now have an exceptional opportunity for a world-leading, innovative and influential Physical Scientist to take up the role of Director of Physical Sciences within Diamond.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, you will provide overall strategic leadership, direction and management of the Physical Science Division, as well as being a part of the executive management team at Diamond.
You will develop and manage the research programme in Physical Sciences. In consultation with the funding agencies and the user community, you will define the scope and aims of the programme and a process for the evaluation of its performance.
You will also be responsible for managing the beamlines operation together with the support laboratories as a user facility within budget and to agreed scientific targets.
Further responsibilities will include:
- Leading on Diamond-II related projects for Physical Science Division.
- Establishment of a strong scientific team to support the research programme.
- Development of a world leading SR-related scientific programme.
- Establishment of a development programme for the scientific staff of the company.
- Preparation of quarterly operational reports and annual scientific reports.
- Plan, develop and implement divisional strategy in support of company objectives.
- Manage and develop direct reporting and other staff.
- Manage budgets and control divisional expenditure within agreed budgets.
You will demonstrate a proven record of scientific achievement in the Physical Sciences at international level, along with significant senior leadership experience from within a complex scientific environment.
You will display significant knowledge of the UK scientific community, with the ability to represent the division in a positive and effective way and, by extension, to represent the Company externally, to government, Wellcome, UKRI, industry, and other bodies.
You will possess the ability to encourage teamwork and innovation, and the ability and scientific standing necessary to gain and retain the confidence of the division as a whole, across the range of subject areas and of scientific and managerial issues.
You will demonstrate experience of:
- Developing scientific strategies for an organisation or a major project.
- Leadership and line management of a major scientific project or organisation with the vision and leadership required to continue to develop a successful divisional structure and sub-structures, to further scientific planning and development of the broad research.
- Synchrotron radiation research and beamline development.
- Working with the UK funding agencies in the prioritisation of research programmes with the ability to work to deadlines and within funding constraints.
You will display exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including the confidence and ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in academia, industry and government.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
We take an active approach to ensuring equality, diversity and inclusion are at the heart of our activities at Diamond, with a dedicated commitment to ensuring we provide a fulfilling and enjoyable place to work, where all staff feel valued and recognised for their individual contribution.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role. Please also indicate your salary expectation.
Diamond is a thriving international organisation, attracting a diverse range of talented individuals from around the world. Our staff currently comprises 44 nationalities and we welcome applications from everyone interested in joining us.
The closing date for applications is 3rd January with interviews planned for early - mid January.