HED Physics - Postdoctoral Experimental Physicist
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 21 Mar 2023
- Nuclear, fusion & energy, Optics, lasers & photonics
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for HED Physics - Postdoctoral Experimental Physicists to independently execute experiments and/or to develop instrumentation in support of the National Ignition Facility (NIF) and OMEGA laser-matter research. This work will take place within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate, home to the world’s most energetic laser. It is an exciting time to join the team that achieved fusion ignition in December 2022, a historic moment in science, opening up new physics regimes and setting the stage for new fusion energy possibilities.
You will plan, design, execute and oversee experiments in the fields of laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation transport, implosion physics, material strength and nuclear physics. These positions are in the High Energy Density (HED) Scientific & Technology (S&T) Program within the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF & PS) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD).
- Research, design and execute x-ray and laser driven experiments at NIF, at the OMEGA Laser Facility, and at the on-site Jupiter Laser Facility.
- Design, field, and coordinate optical, x-ray and nuclear diagnostics.
- Author and present technical and scientific reports, presentations, and publications for internal and external audiences including the DOE community and at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, spectroscopy, condensed matter, nuclear physics, dynamic material science, or related discipline.
- Experience in experimental physics in one of the following areas: laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation driven hydrodynamics, radiation transport, condensed matter, nuclear physics or high energy density experiments.
- Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills.
- Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, optical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Effective interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate and work in a team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with laser or pulsed power sources.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert