Advanced Instrumentation for Nonproliferation - Postdoctoral Researcher
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 21 Mar 2023
- Accelerators, neutron & light sources
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to play a major role in advancing the design and simulation of instrumentation for an international applied neutrino science program, founded and led by Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. You will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team characterizing new water-based liquid scintillator formulations, testing fast highly pixelated photosensors, and performing simulations to enable the next generation of large-scale antineutrino detectors for both fundamental science and nonproliferation. This position is in the Rare Event Detection group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
- Perform performance sensitivity studies of water-based radiation detectors, including for nonproliferation applications of reactor neutrinos.
- Perform simulations to guide the design of water-based detector systems.
- Lead experimental efforts at LLNL to evaluate and qualify detector components.
- Validate simulation models with experimental detector data.
- Supervise testing, measurement, and analysis work by graduate students.
- Publish peer reviewed journal articles summarizing research findings.
- Provide technical contributions to the development of future experiments.
- Work in close collaboration with colleagues at LLNL and the broader neutrino science community.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in High-Energy Physics, Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Physics, Particle Physics or a closely related field.
- Experience with GEANT4-or MCNP based simulation tools.
- Experience in C++/Python, ROOT, and other programming languages.
- Experience in analysis of data from multi-channel detector systems.
- Experience in simulating physics processes and detector response in experiments.
- Experience with data analysis and interpretation.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in nuclear nonproliferation.
- Experience in organic scintillator development.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert