AWE is currently recruiting for a Theoretical Scientist to exercise and improve capability in understanding nuclear warhead design, performance, effectiveness and national nuclear security through theoretical research, modelling and assessment.
Location - Reading area
Package - £33,300 - c£44,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year, including Bank Holidays, plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
What will you be required to do?
- Research, investigation and production of techniques and solutions to complex multi-physics problems
- Supporting research and development which has a direct impact at the level of the technical specialism
- Resolving technical problems and assistance to customers and peers
- Actively participate in collaboration activities with external peers (International/Academia)
What will you need to be considered?
Whilst not on a check list, we are interested in hearing from individuals who can demonstrate some of the following:
- The ability to programme in C++, Fortran, Python or a similar high-level language
- Knowledge of numerical methods for computational fluid dynamics
- Experience in developing and applying mathematical models to complex physics
- Experience of working in a Unix/Linux environment
- A bachelors or masters degree, or a doctorate in a Physics/Maths subject
- A clear and concise communication approach, both oral and written
- The ability to capture and communicate technical requirements effectively
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.