Head of Magnet Group
Head of Magnet Group
Business Area: Technical/Engineering
Full Time Salary: £55,097 to £64,821 per annum (Discretionary range to £74,545)
Post Type: Full time / Fixed term
Term: 5 years
Closing Date: 12/12/2021
Ref No: 10676
Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron science facility. By accelerating electrons to near light-speed, Diamond generates brilliant beams of light from infra-red to X-rays which are used for academic and industry research and development across a range of scientific disciplines including structural biology, physics, chemistry, materials science, engineering, earth, and environmental sciences.
At Diamond we are currently planning a major multi-million pound upgrade of the facility, known as Diamond-II. Diamond-II will combine a new machine and new beamlines with a comprehensive series of upgrades to optics, detectors, sample environments, sample delivery capabilities and computing, which will ultimately generate an even more brilliant light source at a higher energy.
About the Role
We now have an excellent opportunity for a Head of Magnet Group to manage the delivery of high-quality accelerator magnets for the Diamond-II project.
The key duties of the role will include:
- Managing the magnetic designs of high-quality accelerator magnets, covering the full range of permanent magnets, d.c., a.c. and pulsed electromagnets.
- Managing the interaction with the Diamond Accelerator Physics and Engineering Group staff to ensure magnet designs achieve the required specification and field quality.
- Managing the delivery of detailed procurement specifications.
- Coordinating and overseeing the supervision of procurement contracts for the supply of magnets.
- Managing the setting-up and operation of the required high precision magnetic measurement systems, data collation, analysis, and interpretation.
- Ensuring Diamond’s magnet designs, production methods and measurement techniques are state-of-the-art and meet the required specifications.
- Providing advice to the Technical Director and Diamond-II Project Board in your areas of expertise.
You will have a Degree in Physics or Engineering or demonstrate significant equivalent experience, with PhD qualified candidates desirable.
You will demonstrate significant experience of magnetic and mechanical design of electromagnetic and permanent accelerator magnets, along with experience of the specification, procurement management, and quality control of accelerator magnets.
You will be an experienced line manager with the ability to lead and motivate others.
A basic understanding of the operation of particle accelerators and the influence of magnetic quality on their operation is beneficial.
You will display excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Please use the online application process to apply and tell us why you believe you are suitable for this role.
Diamond is a thriving international organisation, attracting a diverse range of talented individuals from around the world. Our staff currently comprises 44 nationalities and we welcome applications from everyone interested in joining us.
The closing date for applications is 12th of December 2021 with interviews scheduled for the beginning of January 2022