Particle Accelerator Machine Physicist
- Mol, Belgium
- Be part of an international team creating a first of a kind proton accelerator
- work on beam dynamics and beam optics
- accelerator experience is a strong asset
- masters/PhD in Physics
We are ready to build this accelerator. Are you?
Together with a large team of ambitious engineers and researchers, SCK CEN wants to develop new medical radioisotopes to treat cancer patients and solve the nuclear waste issue by means of the MYRRHA project. The MYRRHA project’s first phase (start of commissioning scheduled for 2026) consists of a proton accelerator with one of a kind reliability and two target facilities with which research can be performed into radioisotopes, radioactive ion beam physics and nuclear fusion reactor materials. The subsequent phases extend the accelerator to drive a sub-critical reactor intended to proof the concept of nuclear waste transmutation (start of commissioning scheduled for 2040). To help us achieve our ambitious goals, we are looking for a Particle Accelerator Machine Physicist who will:
- work on beam optics/dynamics topics of the 100 MeV superconducting linac and beam transfer lines
- contribute to the definition of the machine operational concept
- develop a simulations framework for efficient studying of the required fault tolerance
- define the commissioning and operation tools to be implemented by the control team
- participate in the beam commissioning in 2026
To join this frontier, you'll need
- masters or PhD in Physics, Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- experience in performing simulations studies and translating the results into design requirements
- experience in performing accelerator machine physics studies is a strong asset
- experience in commissioning and operating a particle accelerator is a strong asset
about SCK CEN
SCK CEN is a Belgian Nuclear Research Centre that has developed an extensive expertise in various areas of nuclear science and technology, of which it has received international recognition. Over the last 65 years, our dedication continually results in developing innovative nuclear applications covering safety, health, environment, society, materials and technology.
We unite engineers, scientists and technicians from many different countries all over the world, collaborating with numerous different partners inside and outside Belgium, committed to the core values of mutual respect, independent of gender, race, religion, creed, education, ideology, lifestyle or beliefs.
With an ambitious and winning philosophy in mind we are an accountable team who never compromises on safety and quality. Caring for employee health and well-being is central to SCK CEN’s culture, demonstrated through its commitment to employee wellness by offering an excellent work-life balance, working hour flexibility, hospitalization insurance, an own restaurant, international school only 5 km from work, welfare tips and tricks and the NUCLEA club nearby with more than 20 different sporting and cultural activities. In addition we offer a permanent contract in Mol, Belgium (60 km from Antwerp, 80 km from Brussels) and a market conform salary.
Apply for Particle Accelerator Machine Physicist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly