Technical Director, Electron Ion Collider
- Brookhaven National Laboratory
- New York, US
- Competitive Salary, Benefits and Relocation
- Closing date
- 28 Apr 2023
- Accelerators, neutron & light sources
- Job type
- Research facilities
Brookhaven National Laboratory was recently chosen as the building site for the Electron-Ion Collider (EIC), a one-of-a-kind nuclear physics research facility. The EIC will be a discovery machine for unlocking the secrets of the “glue” that binds the building blocks of visible matter in the universe. The machine design is based on the existing and highly optimized RHIC Ion-Ion collider. It will consist of two intersecting accelerators, one producing an intense beam of electrons, the other a beam of protons or heavier atomic nuclei which are steered into collisions. Beyond sparking scientific discoveries in a new frontier of fundamental physics, the Electron-Ion Collider will trigger technological breakthroughs that have broad-ranging impact on human health and national challenges.
The Electron Ion Collider (EIC) Technical Director reports to the EIC Project Director. This position is the EIC principal point-of-contact for the technical performance of the EIC scope of work and ensures that the project produces, installs and commissions components that meet technical specifications and result in the EIC project meeting DOE approved performance parameters.
- Serve as the technical design authority for the project;
- Direct and coordinate supporting R&D and commissioning activities with construction activities;
- Provide institutional coordination and oversight for the efforts to design, construct, integrate, and commission the components of EIC into RHIC and BNL infrastructure;
- Coordinate with partner institutions to ensure their scope meets EIC scientific and technical performance requirements;
- Ensure technical goals are consistent with the project scope described in the EIC Final Design Report and that they are achieved;
- Serve as the primary point-of-contact for the EIC Machine Advisory Committee (MAC) and for project-wide technical reviews;
- Direct and coordinate the EIC design, systems engineering, and technical integration teams;
- Initiate, as necessary, internal reviews of System-level (WBS L2) projects to ensure that the systems meet technical performance, and/or system integration requirements;
- Participate and contribute to the project risk management process;
- Participate as a member for the EIC Change Control Board;
- Assist in developing the integrated cost and schedule plan for the EIC Project;
- Act for the EIC Project Director when the EIC Project Director is unavailable;
- Serve as a member of the Integrated Project Team;
- Strive to build a diverse and inclusive workforce, and create a productive, respectful work environment.
- PhD degree in Physics, Engineering or a related discipline;
- 20 years of broadly related accelerator physics experience including significant experience in the field of accelerator systems and detectors;
- Project experience delivering a major technical project;
- Extensive experience in the leadership and management of accelerator and detector R&D efforts and activities;
- Experience in the design, procurement, fabrication, installation, commissioning, and maintenance of particle accelerator systems including: RF, Controls, Beam Instrumentation, Mechanical & Electrical components, and/or Vacuum;
- Experience with the management oversight and coordination of a variety of scientific, engineering, and technical staff for design, fabrication, assembly, testing, and installation of complex systems and equipment;
- Excellent writing and oral skills.
- Experience with activities funded by the DOE Office of Science;
- Experience with DOE National Laboratories;
- Experience with international scientific and technical collaborations.
- Travel required
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
The Laboratory's 2,500-plus staff members lead and support diverse research teams that address the DOE mission to ensure the nation's security and prosperity by addressing its energy, environmental, and nuclear challenges through transformative science and technology solutions. Among Brookhaven Lab’s current initiatives are nuclear science, energy science, data science, particle physics, accelerator science and technology, quantitative plant science, and quantum information science.
Building 400, PO Box 5000
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert