6 days left
- Job type
- Industry & business
Role - Dispersion Scientist
Location - Reading area
Package - £34,000 - c£45,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply)
You will be working in the Radiological Assessment Team within the Systems Assessments Group (SAG). This multi-discipline group provides mission effectiveness and weapons effects assessments to AWE and our government stakeholders. We also contribute a range of capabilities in support of the UK's national nuclear security and treaty verification requirements. We undertake fundamental scientific research, experimental trials, software model development and operational analysis to provide strategic answers directly into our customer community.
What you'll need to be considered:
- Chemistry/Physics or similar STEM discipline (undergraduate degree or equivalent experience)
- Minimum of 1-2 years industry experience
- Experimental background in either atmospheric dispersion or radiation work
- A specialism in one or more of the following areas is advantageous: Radiation Transport, Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling, Aerosol Physics, Experimental experience running atmospheric dispersion trials, Radiation Protection, Explosives
- Experience in scientific programming using languages such as Fortran, Python or C++
- Applying numerical methods to real world problems and using this to inform the design of experimental programs
- Ability to prioritise a varied workload for self or small team; ensuring delivery with minimum supervision
- Working level experience of undertaking technical work and conducting technical assessments to draw sound scientific conclusions
- Ability to travel abroad
- Clear and concise communication, both verbally and in written work
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.