Climate and Weather Data Analytics and Visualization Developer - Climate Analysis Group
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 1 Jun 2023
- Earth & environmental science
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Data Analytics and Visualization Developer to provide long-term support for research work in the area of climate data analytics and diagnostics, including processing, analyzing, visualizing and managing a variety of model output and observational data. You will be working on output from a suite of weather and climate models, especially the Energy Exascale Earth System Model and the Weather and Forecasting Model (WRF). This position is in the Climate Science Section in the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division.
$123,960 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
- Support development of new and moderately complex analytics, diagnostics and metrics within an Anaconda python-based software system with LLNL extensions based on user requirements.
- Develop, maintain, and contribute to software systems for processing, analyzing and visualizing climate model data.
- Develop, maintain, and contribute to plans for new projects, maintenance releases, code management, and lifecycle replacement.
- Employ software engineering methods to conduct software systems analysis and prototyping.
- Write and review technical and end-user documentation.
- Give formal and informal presentations to staff members, external collaborators, and scientific conferences.
- Contribute to publications of research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals.
- Able to work on-site at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
- Travel as required to coordinate work with collaborators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- M.S. Degree in atmospheric science, oceanography, earth science, physics, engineering, data science or closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Experience in Linux/Unix operating systems and shell programming.
- Experience programming in Python.
- Experience with processing, analyzing and visualizing observational and climate model data.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to independently write reports and exchange technical information with colleagues.
- Possession of the interpersonal skills necessary to work in a diverse, multidisciplinary research team.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Experience with python tools for interactive visualization of large, unstructured datasets including HoloViews, DataShader, Bokeh and Matplotlib.
- Experience working with ~terabyte-sized model output and observational data sets using NetCDF, HDF or similar self-describing formats.
- Experience working with scientists in atmospheric science, oceanography, climate science, or closely related field.
- Working knowledge of fundamentals and best practices of modern software development (e.g., GitHub, Anaconda).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert