Chemistry and Materials Science Lead for W80-4
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 10 Jun 2023
- Condensed matter, Materials science
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$231,150.00 - $296,868.00 Annually for the SEL.5 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Chemistry & Materials Science Leader to work with PLS, WTE, WPD and WCI leadership to coordinate and guide LLNL’s chemistry and materials efforts for the W80-4 Life Extension Program. You will work with programmatic and line management to oversee the materials maturation, manufacturing, and aging and compatibility for the W80-4 program while building and strengthening connections and collaborations with production agencies. This position is in the Materials Science Division, and reports to the Associate Program Director for Materials, Manufacturing and Diagnostics and to the LLNL W80-4 Program Manager.
- Oversee and track execution of W80-4 funded technical work in the area of materials chemistry and material science.
- With W80-4 program leadership communicate progress in technical work with stakeholders.
- Provide scientific and programmatic leadership in materials science and engineering, chemistry, and physical science to the W80-4 program and their Product Realization Teams.
- Work with WCI program leadership and Program Directors to align and strengthen capabilities to ensure strong support of programs and deliverables.
- Coordinate and partner with other NNSA research and development portfolio managers to effectively realize material insertion opportunities.
- Create and sustain a collaborative culture to enable effective partnerships to advance the W80-4 program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
- PhD in Condensed Matter Physics, Chemistry, Material Science, Metallurgical Sciences, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Expert level experience in applying chemistry and material science expertise to NNSA Stockpile Stewardship programs; with prior experience with a life extension program highly desirable.
- Expert level experience balancing complex, overlapping, and competing priorities.
- Significant experience in planning, budgeting, and executing large, multisite development efforts with demonstrated experience in Earned Value Management and Risk Management.
- Significant experience creating and sustaining collaborations with distributed partners.
- Significant experience building and managing multi-disciplinary teams that need to execute missions across traditional disciplinary boundaries.
- Ability to identify technical gaps and provide solutions.
- Expert written and verbal communication skills, specifically the ability to explain and present highly complex ideas, as well as to communicate effectively with subordinates, peers, and leadership at multiple levels, especially to those without extensive technical expertise in chemistry and materials science.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Recruiting Advertisements. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For onsite interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, firstname.lastname@example.org . Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert