Weapons Infrastructure Revitalization Project Manager
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- Livermore, California, (US)
- Closing date
- 14 Jun 2023
- Defence & aerospace
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$178,410.00 - $229,116.00 Annually for the SES.4 level
$214,050.00 - $274,908.00 Annually for the SES.5 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Weapons Infrastructure Revitalization Project Managers. You will plan, manage, and execute projects involving recapitalization and modernization of a highly integrated set of facilities, utilities, and specialized programmatic equipment to support weapons missions and capabilities. You will be responsible for managing large projects including Congressional authorized Line Item projects greater than $50 million. The infrastructure projects are needed to support capabilities such as the nuclear weapons program in high explosives, warhead test and evaluation, physics performance evaluation, and science, technology, and engineering. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Pursue new opportunities, plan schedules and budgets, oversee the design and construction, manage contractors, coordinate and execute the work, and monitor the progress and completion of large facility and infrastructure construction projects.
- Apply expert level application and industry best practices and methodologies to research, plan, communicate and guide successful completion of project and organizational goals.
- Assess technical direction, set broad project vision and strategy, and influence technical direction by developing efficient processes to execute projects. Recommend process improvements.
- Work with various stakeholders to develop and manage priorities.
- Work closely with the Weapons Infrastructure (WI) business managers to ensure project status and performance data requirements are reported promptly and accurately to NNSA.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.5 level
- Act as a senior technical expert, working closely with program managers and weapons equipment and facility portfolio managers to ensure project execution meets approved cost, scope, and schedule requirements.
- Provide leadership of critical infrastructure area plans. Lead the integration of facility, infrastructure, and programmatic equipment.
- Use extensive experience to develop and implement new rigorous project management methods and tools to ensure successful execution of facility and infrastructure projects.
- Work closely with program sponsors on implementation of special construction initiatives to reduce project cost and schedule. Provide input for institution wide strategic planning related to infrastructure.
- Utilize expert-level communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills to effectively advise and influence the WCI Deputy Principal Associate Director for Operations and Operations & Business Directorate to ensure that revitalized infrastructure is maintained throughout its life cycle.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Highly advanced knowledge and experience in successfully leading teams in design and construction to deliver completion of large facility and infrastructure construction projects on budget and schedule.
- Experience in rigorous technical reviews and project controls methodologies and extensive experience in design, construction, and cost estimation.
- Strong track record working successfully with Science, Technology & Engineering and Environment, Safety & Health management.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Additional qualifications at the SES.5 level
- Expert knowledge and experience to deliver infrastructure to support technical capabilities integrating both scientific equipment and facilities modernization.
- Extensive experience providing organizational guidance and influence in defining and/or refining processes and procedures. Extensive experience and ability to champion and translate user capability requirements into stringent cost, scope, risk, and schedule specifications.
- Extensive experience serving as a senior technical resource and partnering with major internal organization infrastructure stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree or experience in engineering and/or special certification as a Project Engineer, project management, or cost estimation professional.
- Experience working in the nuclear weapons program and with Laboratory operations and business processes.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, firstname.lastname@example.org . Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert