Radio Frequency Senior Scientist/Engineer
- Farnborough, UK
- Closing date
- 18 Jul 2023
- Computational science & software engineering, Engineering & instrumentation
- Job type
- Research facilities
The role is required to deliver research and development of novel high power radio frequency systems and to carry out experimentation in support of this technology area. The primary focus of the team is to provide expertise to customers on the topic of High Power Radio Frequency (HPRF) directed energy and the impact this can have on commercial and military electronics. The team also delivers cutting edge innovation and research on this subject. This is an exciting growth area and was highlighted in the UK Integrated Review in 2021 of emerging defence technologies. The successful applicant will have a background in physics or electronics engineering and will be conversant with RF technology. Training will be provided on the application of HPRF to directed energy and any specialist test methods
The successful applicant will:
- Attend meetings with customers to understand their needs;
- Produce clear and well written documentation (e.g. proposals, reports, etc);
- Carry out modelling and analysis to design and predict the outcome of RF systems and the propagation of RF and microwave electromagnetic energy;
- Conduct high quality testing and measurements to research RF effects and propagation, both in test chambers and on outdoor test ranges;
- Deliver data analysis and presentations to project leads/customers;
- Present research to a variety of audiences including customers and conferences;
- Collaborate with a number of stakeholders including physics, engineering and electrical SMEs to ensure successful projects;
- Support internal investments and innovation in the Novel effectors and Resilience capability group.
- Able to deliver RF and microwave testing and analysis;
- Knowledge of physics based modelling with tools such as MATLAB or Altair WinProp;
- Carry out technical tasks or projects in the required time, cost, and to customer satisfaction;
- Strong analytical skills, as well as good evaluative judgement based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in novel situations;
- Strong safety attitude and understanding of how the practical risks associated with high power RF and microwave testing are managed;
- Positive interpersonal and team working skills;
- Good planning, organisation and coordinating abilities;
- Good written and oral communication skills, including presentation skills and the ability to adapt information/style appropriate to the audience;
- An understanding of typical concepts and procedures related to Quality Assurance, and Health and Safety. An ability to convey how they relate to the delivery of technical work;
- The ability to think creatively and apply specialist knowledge to solve complex problems.
Experience & Qualifications
- A formal qualification, such as a first degree or recognised equivalent in Physics or Electrical/Electronic Engineering discipline;
- Expertise in the domain of RF or microwave Physics/engineering. Typically at least 6 years’ experience of working in related fields such as RADAR;
- Experience in the use of radio frequency measurement systems, e.g. setting up and using a variety of amplifiers, antennas and measurement equipment;
- Ideally, some experience in the use of software modelling of radio frequency propagation and the application of modelling to safe separation distance calculations;
- Experience working on technical tasks and projects with the ability to provide examples;
- Experience of taking a technical project through a Technical/Quality Assurance process including Hazardous Activities Management (Heath and Safety) reviews;
- Be able to demonstrate competence in the use of analytical software packages, e.g. MATLAB; and other corporate software for example MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint;
- Hold SC Clearance or have the ability to hold SC clearance.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.
QinetiQ is a company of scientists and engineers committed to listening, understanding and responding to our customers’ needs. This enables us to use our depth of experience, and our unique science and engineering expertise, to equip customers with powerful solutions to their most pressing challenges.
Why work for us
We understand that people want diversity from a career, so we’ve created a flexible working environment, where we offer opportunities to work on different projects and give people the freedom to innovate and try new things. Our peoples’ depth of expertise and their passion for defence and security makes the critical difference for our customers. We constantly encourage staff to think and do things differently, to always look for enterprising, agile ways to create real benefit. Collaborating with and learning from our world-renowned experts makes QinetiQ an exceptionally rewarding place to work; where no two days are the same.
Training and development
We encourage our people to challenge themselves, realize their full potential and to be proud to deliver outstanding performance for our customers. The QinetiQ Academy provides opportunities for further growth, and everyone are encouraged to develop technical skills and complete professional training.
Our two-year Graduate Development Programme gives graduates access to more than 250 rotational placements, unique facilities and a strong support network to help develop their career.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for outstanding technical people, creative and analytical thinkers, decision makers, influencers and excellent communicators. Working at QinetiQ is more than just a job – we’re making a difference in addressing some of society’s biggest technical challenges. Our purpose is to “save lives, protect sovereign interests, deliver where others can’t”. This is why we exist and the reason why we all get out of bed in the morning.
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Physicists, optical scientists, systems engineers, software engineers, combat systems engineers, mission systems engineers, business analysts, project managers, data scientists, big data, dev ops, network, communications, training, synthetic environments and simulation engineers, cyber intelligence, cryptosecurity
Desired degree disciplines/class
Science degree or equivalent
Eligible to work in the UK or one of QinetiQ’s global businesses
How to apply
All year round
- +44 (0)1252 392000
Cody Technology Park
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert