Applied Acoustic Physicist
- Gosport, UK
- Closing date
- 18 Jul 2023
- Acoustics, Computational science & software engineering, Mathematics & statistics
- Job type
- Research facilities
About the role:
Your role will support the delivery of hydro-acoustic tasks that will likely include elements of experimental measurement and numerical prediction undertaken using test facilities within the UK and Europe and a high performance computing cluster. You will work with the domain lead, task leads and project managers throughout the lifecycle of projects, from capturing customer requirements, through planning, task conduct, data analysis to delivering results by written reports and oral presentations. Throughout the life-cycle you will ensure that yours and the work of those working with you meets quality requirements, is delivered on schedule and to budget.
What will I be doing?
- Recognise and resolve non-standard, challenging occurrences and problems with work assignments;
- Provide technical expertise in a customer facing and delivery focused environment;
- Perform engineering/technical assignments requiring the integration of a wide range of engineering/technical disciplines;
- Prepare written documentation on whole or segments of overall project;
- Exercise considerable discretion on a variety of complex assignments;
- Interaction with project management and QinetiQ technical staff to align outputs;
- Identifying innovative solutions within time and budget constraints;
- Contribute to innovative solutions to customers’ problems;
- Carry out technical trials and contribute to their design and reporting;
- Production and delivery of tasks within time and budget constraints;
- Provision of responses to customers’ technical requirements within agreed timeframes.
What do I need?
- Mathematical ability necessary to undertake turbulence, acoustic and vibration calculations/predictions/data manipulation in MatLab and Excel;
- Good analytical skills and evaluative judgment based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations;
- Drafting technical documents, e.g. reports, technical specifications and project plans;
- Working understanding of technical risk and appropriate mitigation;
- Awareness of relevant health and safety measures and processes;
- Strong communication and diplomacy skills are required to guide, influence and convince others, in particular colleagues in other areas/departments and external customers/agencies;
- Able to think conceptually and translate into viable practical technical solutions;
- Make reliable and consistent judgments under minimal supervision;
- Sound planning and organisation skills.
What we offer
QinetiQ offers an excellent salary and flexible benefits package commensurate with a large international company some of which are highlighted below:
- Pension - up to 10.5% annual salary Company contributed. For every 1% pension salary sacrifice, QinetiQ matched with 1.5% (e.g. personal contribution 7%, QinetiQ contribution 10.5% - total pension contribution 17.5% of annual salary);
- 50% off meals at selected restaurants, 40% off cinema tickets, 45% off RAC, 20% off EE, new car discounts and much more;
- Life Insurance;
- Modern and collaborative working environment;
- Flexible Working, Social and family events;
- Health Cash Plan, Health Screening, Employee Assistance 24/7;
- Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance at additional cost;
- Childcare or After School Club discounts;
- Up to 5 days additional Annual Leave Purchase;
- Discounted Personal Accident Insurance, Annual Travel Insurance;
- Gym and sports facilities available at larger sites.
- Payroll Giving and Volunteering - helping charities and local community.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.
QinetiQ is a company of scientists and engineers committed to listening, understanding and responding to our customers’ needs. This enables us to use our depth of experience, and our unique science and engineering expertise, to equip customers with powerful solutions to their most pressing challenges.
Why work for us
We understand that people want diversity from a career, so we’ve created a flexible working environment, where we offer opportunities to work on different projects and give people the freedom to innovate and try new things. Our peoples’ depth of expertise and their passion for defence and security makes the critical difference for our customers. We constantly encourage staff to think and do things differently, to always look for enterprising, agile ways to create real benefit. Collaborating with and learning from our world-renowned experts makes QinetiQ an exceptionally rewarding place to work; where no two days are the same.
Training and development
We encourage our people to challenge themselves, realize their full potential and to be proud to deliver outstanding performance for our customers. The QinetiQ Academy provides opportunities for further growth, and everyone are encouraged to develop technical skills and complete professional training.
Our two-year Graduate Development Programme gives graduates access to more than 250 rotational placements, unique facilities and a strong support network to help develop their career.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for outstanding technical people, creative and analytical thinkers, decision makers, influencers and excellent communicators. Working at QinetiQ is more than just a job – we’re making a difference in addressing some of society’s biggest technical challenges. Our purpose is to “save lives, protect sovereign interests, deliver where others can’t”. This is why we exist and the reason why we all get out of bed in the morning.
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Physicists, optical scientists, systems engineers, software engineers, combat systems engineers, mission systems engineers, business analysts, project managers, data scientists, big data, dev ops, network, communications, training, synthetic environments and simulation engineers, cyber intelligence, cryptosecurity
Desired degree disciplines/class
Science degree or equivalent
Eligible to work in the UK or one of QinetiQ’s global businesses
How to apply
All year round
- +44 (0)1252 392000
Cody Technology Park
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert