Applied Acoustics Physicist Graduate - Early Careers
- Gosport, UK
- Closing date
- 18 Jul 2023
- Acoustics, Computational science & software engineering
- Job type
- Research facilities
It’s an exciting time to join one of our Early Careers programmes at QinetiQ. We are always looking for great people to join our team, whether you are taking your first steps in starting a career or you are looking to make a career change, we have a wide range of exciting opportunities for you.
About the team
Maritime Acoustics (Propulsion):
The Acoustics Team at QinetiQ Haslar tackles one of the most complex problems in marine engineering – how to make propulsion systems quiet. We do this by developing and applying state-of-the-art measurement and computational techniques, which we use to evaluate the performance of designs to ensure they meet our customers’ requirements.
What will I be doing?
Your role will support the delivery of hydro-acoustic tasks that will likely include elements of experimental measurement and numerical prediction undertaken using test facilities within the UK and Europe and a high performance computing cluster. You will work with the domain lead, task leads and project managers throughout the lifecycle of projects, from capturing customer requirements, through planning, task conduct, data analysis to delivering results by written reports and oral presentations. Throughout the life-cycle you will ensure that yours and the work of those working with you meets quality requirements, is delivered on schedule and to budget.
Specific responsibilities and challenges:
- Ability to recognise and resolve non-standard, challenging occurrences and problems with work assignments;
- Provide technical expertise in a customer facing and delivery focused environment;
- Perform engineering/technical assignments requiring the integration of a wide range of engineering/technical disciplines;
- Prepare written documentation on whole or segments of overall project;
- Exercise considerable discretion on a variety of complex assignments;
- Ability to work as an individual or part of a team and deliver whole or parts of projects;
- Remain proactive in new techniques and communicate these to colleagues;
- Interaction with project management and QinetiQ technical staff to align outputs;
- Identifying innovative solutions within time and budget constraints;
- Contribute to innovative solutions to customers’ problems;
- Carry out technical trials and contribute to their design and reporting;
- Production and delivery of tasks within time and budget constraints;
- Provision of responses to customers’ technical requirements within agreed timeframes;
- Continuing professional development of self.
You will need to have attained a degree or be predicted with a key focus on any of the disciplines listed below:
A technical applied science/engineering subject aligned with acoustic/optical/fluid measurement/modelling, e.g.
- Naval architecture;
- Mechanical engineering.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
- Mix of practical and numerical skills and willingness to undertake desk and laboratory work;
- Mathematical ability sufficient for performing mechanical, acoustical and vibration calculations/predictions/data manipulation in MatLab and Excel;
- Design and conduct of physical/applied engineering experiments/measurements;
- Good analytical skills and evaluative judgment based on the analysis of factual and qualitative information in complicated or novel situations.
- Experience of model-scale testing, design, preparation use of models, ideally in hydrodynamic/acoustic testing;
- Awareness, ideally experience of, noise, vibration and flow measurement techniques;
- Awareness of optical/laser-based vibration and flow measurement methods;
- Understanding of engineering mechanical design processes, assurance calculations and low-volume manufacture.
- • Awareness of the Commercial and UK Military Marine industry.
- Please be aware that many roles within QinetiQ will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and your place of birth may limit those roles you can perform for the organisation;
- You must be prepared to go through the Government Vetting process, for further details please refer to United Kingdom Security Vetting - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).
- Haslar Marine Technology Park, Gosport, UK.
Why join QinetiQ?
As a global company of over 6,000 dedicated people providing technological and scientific expertise, we are excited to recruit the most talented and enthusiastic people to become key parts of our business. Our Early Careers programmes give you the opportunity to be at the heart of impactful projects.
Diversity and inclusion
In our unique working environment, teams from different backgrounds collaborate widely on some of the world’s most complex defence and security challenges. Whatever part you play, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies. It’s a diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Together, we’ll explore new ways of protecting the world around us.
Looking after the health and wellbeing of our employees are our top priority. We offer a host of services designed to support your wellbeing. They range from our Thrive app and Employee Assistance Programme to Mental Health First Aiders. The wellbeing of our employees is critical to our collective and individual success.
Rewards and benefits
We offer global career progression and the opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting projects along with a wide range of rewards and recognition. Our highly competitive salaries come with a raft of benefits, from a performance-based Employee Incentive Scheme to Thank Q, our global recognition scheme. There’s also a Share Incentive Plan, Life Assurance and Benefits+, our flexible benefits package. It’s all designed to make life easier for you.
Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend.
With a focus on protecting the world around us, we have a target to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions by 2025 and we are developing a global plan for net zero by March 2022. Being a responsible and sustainable business is at the heart of our identity.
Come and find out how you can play your part.
QinetiQ is a company of scientists and engineers committed to listening, understanding and responding to our customers’ needs. This enables us to use our depth of experience, and our unique science and engineering expertise, to equip customers with powerful solutions to their most pressing challenges.
Why work for us
We understand that people want diversity from a career, so we’ve created a flexible working environment, where we offer opportunities to work on different projects and give people the freedom to innovate and try new things. Our peoples’ depth of expertise and their passion for defence and security makes the critical difference for our customers. We constantly encourage staff to think and do things differently, to always look for enterprising, agile ways to create real benefit. Collaborating with and learning from our world-renowned experts makes QinetiQ an exceptionally rewarding place to work; where no two days are the same.
Training and development
We encourage our people to challenge themselves, realize their full potential and to be proud to deliver outstanding performance for our customers. The QinetiQ Academy provides opportunities for further growth, and everyone are encouraged to develop technical skills and complete professional training.
Our two-year Graduate Development Programme gives graduates access to more than 250 rotational placements, unique facilities and a strong support network to help develop their career.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for outstanding technical people, creative and analytical thinkers, decision makers, influencers and excellent communicators. Working at QinetiQ is more than just a job – we’re making a difference in addressing some of society’s biggest technical challenges. Our purpose is to “save lives, protect sovereign interests, deliver where others can’t”. This is why we exist and the reason why we all get out of bed in the morning.
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Physicists, optical scientists, systems engineers, software engineers, combat systems engineers, mission systems engineers, business analysts, project managers, data scientists, big data, dev ops, network, communications, training, synthetic environments and simulation engineers, cyber intelligence, cryptosecurity
Desired degree disciplines/class
Science degree or equivalent
Eligible to work in the UK or one of QinetiQ’s global businesses
How to apply
All year round
- +44 (0)1252 392000
Cody Technology Park
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert