Materials Scientist Postdoctoral Researcher
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- California, US
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
- Engineering & instrumentation, Materials science
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$108,600 - $126,720 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to work in the Materials Fracture and Performance Group. You will collaborate with a team of engineers and scientists to complete research and development projects on selected topics/areas related to materials processing and performance for applied materials applications. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
- Conduct experimental applied research and development of one or more of the following areas including hands-on experimental work: advanced materials processing, powder metallurgy, fracture mechanics, and advanced materials characterization;
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas; also includes advanced materials processing, processing, and characterization of advanced materials;
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research;
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems;
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory;
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals;
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship;
- PhD in Materials Science and Engineering, Metallurgy, or related field;
- Experience in one of more of the following domains: powder processing, powder metallurgy, thermal analysis of polymer materials, and processing property relationships;
- Experience developing skills in a new research area and developing new characterization techniques;
- Experience with metallographic characterization techniques, including but not limited to SEM, EBSD, diffraction, texture/grain analysis;
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution;
- Experience developing independent research projects, including publication of peer-reviewed literature;
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information;
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Experience performing mechanical testing, such as fracture toughness and nanoindentation;
- Knowledge of other materials processing methods including additive manufacturing methods;
- Experience with non-destructive evaluation techniques, such as tomography, resonant ultrasound spectroscopy, pulse-echo, and eddy current measurements.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package;
- Relocation Assistance;
- Education Reimbursement Program;
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs);
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity;
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values;
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process;
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov;
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems;
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, firstname.lastname@example.org . Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site;
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert