Tutor with The Brilliant Club
- The Brilliant Club
- United Kingdom (GB)
- Closing date
- 23 Jun 2023
The Brilliant Club is an award-winning charity that mobilises the PhD community to support students who are less advantaged to access the most competitive universities and succeed when they get there.
We do this through core programmes where we recruit, train and place PhD researchers to work with state school pupils; The Scholars Programme and Join the Dots.
We are excited to be recruiting for STEM tutors to join our Researcher Development Programme, which offers PhD and Early Career researchers a meaningful, paid professional development opportunity.
Tutors working with us will:
- Receive expert training to develop and hone your pedagogical skills;
- Communicate your research to a non-specialist audience;
- Gain sustained teaching experience;
- Join a nationwide community of over 1,000 like-minded researchers making a huge impact on university access;
- Earn from £550 per placement, plus an additional £121 for designing a new course, and travel expenses;
- Boost your CV and receive support to communicate your skills in future job applications;
- Support and inspire young people from less advantaged backgrounds to access university;
- Please see more detail here about both The Scholars Programme and Join the Dots;
- Role-specific Experience and Qualifications.
- Currently studying for a PhD or holds a doctorate (no time limit on when PhD was completed).
- Some experience of teaching or working with young people (though this is by no means essential as you will be required to attend The Brilliant Club training).
Applications for the 2023/24 academic year are now open – apply today!
We work across the UK, mobilizing the PhD community to support students who are less advantaged to access the most competitive universities and succeed when they get there.
Why work for us
The Brilliant Club’s Researcher Development Programme offers PhD and early career researchers a meaningful, professionally developmental, paid tutoring opportunity.
Training with The Brilliant Club and working as a Scholars Programme tutor enables researchers to communicate their research to a non-specialist audience, gain valuable teaching and public-engagement experience, and deepen their knowledge of the UK education system.
Training and development
You will be supported to deliver university-style tutorials to small groups of pupils.
To prepare for your placements, all tutors take part in a pedagogical training programme. We offer a blended approach, combining online training with regional in-person training to build community and allow you to meet your Brilliant Club colleagues.
Our training consists of:
- Core pedagogy sessions focusing on course design, tutorial planning, pupil engagement, and assessment.
- Elective sessions that focus on topics such as the UK school system and teaching sensitive topics.
- Child protection and safeguarding.
- Social events.
What we are looking for
We are looking for PhD students and graduates keen to receive expert training and real experience to develop teaching and other transferable skills.
Our tutors earn from £550 per placement and an additional £121 for designing a new course and travel expenses (plus up to £80 London weighting), and they join a nationwide community of like-minded researchers making a significant impact.
All researchers who work with us are asked on a termly basis whether they are available. The Brilliant Club team will then look to place every available tutor in a local school.
Across the UK
Number of employees
100 full-time staff, 1000 tutors
Main areas of research
University access and success, we welcome specialists in all academic areas
Positions recently recruited for
Tutors across our core programmes: the Scholars Programme, Brilliant Tutoring Programme, Join the Dots and Make your Mark
Desired degree disciplines/class
Master’s degree, current PhD student, PhD graduate
How to apply
Rolling application process, recruiting tutors for 2023/24 academic year
Tel +44 020 3758 3991
- 020 3758 3991
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert