Subject Commissioning Editor
- IOP Publishing
- Negotiable Salary + Excellent Benefits
- Closing date
- 28 May 2023
- Materials science, Nanotechnology, Quantum science & technology
- Job type
- Science administration & media
IOP Publishing (IOPP) is recruiting a number of Subject Commissioning Editors to join our journal portfolio team to support the editorial development and expansion of our publishing programme in the following core subject areas (one role per area):
- Quantum science and technology
- Environmental science/sustainability
- Materials science/physical chemistry
These new roles represent a unique opportunity for candidates with a background in the physical sciences, content commissioning experience and a passion for working with the research community to play a pivotal role in helping to shape the editorial direction and growth of IOPP’s subject portfolios in some of the most exciting areas of science today.
If you’re a highly motivated, target-driven and collaborative professional looking to work with the science community in a diverse and international environment, then look no further!
Working across a subject portfolio of journals in partnership with the wider publishing team, the Subject Commissioning Editor provides scientific expertise and knowledge of the research landscape to raise IOPP’s profile and impact, and drive content acquisition in an identified subject area of high priority to the company’s editorial growth strategy.
Through the building of strong personal networks and collaborations across the international research community, the successful applicant will directly commission research content and generate insights about the relevant research landscape including current hot topics, emerging new research trends, funding, new services and scientific policy to inform the development of IOPP’s subject strategy and deliver content growth for the portfolio.
In addition to desk-based activities the role involves international travel in attending conferences and visiting target research institutions to develop IOPP’s profile and build new research community networks in an identified subject area.
Key job accountabilities include:
- To directly commission research content and deliver a content commissioning framework to increase the number of high-quality submissions, usage, citations and other measures of success for a portfolio of journals in a specific subject area.
- To develop and foster new and existing relationships within a subject research community, building a broad network of researcher contacts at identified key institutes across the world to gain new scientific insights, solicit authors, guest editors and/or Board members to support IOPP’s content growth.
- To act as a subject and research community expert and be an internal authority within the portfolio team to provide regular subject market insights and new content development leads to support journal strategies, article growth initiatives and new product launch opportunities.
- To be a highly visible internal and external figurehead for IOPP’s activity in a subject area through attendance and participation at relevant scientific conferences/workshops (including speaking engagements, social media activity and other in-person/virtual community interaction).
Successful applicants should demonstrate the following:
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably with PhD, in a relevant STEM discipline and a passion for science.
- Previous commissioning experience and the ability to work with the research community to deliver content development plans.
- Knowledge of the research and STM publishing landscape, including an understanding of researchers’ needs and expectations from academic journals. An understanding of open access, including current trends and mandates, would be beneficial but not essential.
- Subject expertise, ideally with proven research expertise and existing networks within a relevant STEM discipline.
- Strong presentation and excellent interpersonal skills, and a proven ability to engage, influence and develop strong networks with researchers.
- Strong data analysis and reporting skills with the ability to directly interpret data to deliver new strategic insights and recommendations.
- A creative mindset and the ability to bring energy, ideas and new approaches.
We know it is unusual for someone to tick every box so, if you don’t meet all the criteria, but demonstrate most of the skills and experience we are looking for, and have the enthusiasm to work with us, go ahead and apply.
Why work with us at IOP Publishing:
Purpose: We are a world leader in the development of electronic publishing for the scientific community - working in the interests of science and scientists, we aim to maximise the impact of the research we publish;
Culture: We offer a truly international culture with offices in Europe, Asia and the US and our reach is global. Our culture is the perfect blend of dedicated and intelligent professionalism, informal, friendly collaboration and authenticity with a social conscience.
Financial benefits: a competitive salary, an excellent pension scheme (up to 12% company contribution), and a discretionary annual bonus scheme, £200 stipend payment on completion of probation period, and a range of other useful and cost-saving benefits available through our benefits platform;
Health and Wellbeing: 33+ days holiday (including bank holidays), a 35-hour working week, , life assurance, cycle to work scheme, dental insurance, health care cash plan, and a great positive working environment in our brand new office in central Bristol - modern airy and designed with all of our colleagues in mind – for work and social time;
Flexibility: As there will not be a requirement for the person in this role to be in the office on a weekly basis, we are open to considering applicants from a wider geographical area who are happy to travel to Bristol subject to business need.
And last but not least, did we mention that we are unique : IOP Publishing is central to the Institute of Physics, a not-for-profit society and we gift-aid all our profits to support science through the activities of the Institute.
To apply, please submit your CV through our careers site.
IOP Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to ensure that diversity, equity and inclusion (DE&I) are built into our identity in a way that is natural and sustainable, visible through the work we produce, our company branding, our professional networks and the communities we serve and support, which includes our employees, talent communities and candidates. We particularly welcome applicants from under-represented backgrounds.
IOP Publishing is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Institute of Physics, a leading scientific society with a worldwide membership of physicists from all sectors. Complementing the Institute’s mission of promoting physics and bringing physicists together for the benefit of all, IOP Publishing provides a range of journals, ebooks, magazines, conference proceedings and websites for the scientific community. Any profits generated by the publishing company are used by the Institute to support science and scientists in both the developed and developing world.
Why work for us
IOP Publishing provides a friendly, positive, open, relaxed but purposeful environment. People who come to work here tend to stay. This is because it feels like you come to work with your friends, not just colleagues. We like to think that we’ve got the kind of environment that encourages people to do well and to enjoy what they do. We believe in treating each other with respect, providing an opportunity for you to contribute to our future. IOP Publishing is a great place to work.
Our success is made possible by the talent, energy and commitment of our people to the company and what we do. This success is founded on having the right people in the right place, in an environment in which they can flourish.
What we are looking for
As an organization, we are the sum of our parts. While we employ specialists in a range of fields, all our employees share a number of qualities and attributes: our people are professional and dedicated, talented and energetic. They work collaboratively to help us expand in a rapidly changing scientific landscape.
The IOP Publishing culture is one of growth, learning and innovation, and we are looking for people who want to develop, innovate and succeed; people who see the exciting opportunities that digital publishing has to offer.
UK, USA, China, India, Japan and Russia
Number of employees
Positions recently recruited for
Editorial assistant, associate editor, publisher, platform engineer, product manager, project manager, marketing executive
How to apply
All year round
Tel +44 (0)117 929 7481
- +44 (0)117 929 7481
No.2 The Distillery
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert