Computational Biologist - Postdoctoral Researcher
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
- California, US
- Closing date
- 25 Jun 2023
- Uncategorised discipline
- Job type
- Research facilities
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
NOTE: This is a two-year term appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years.
We have an opening for a highly motivated Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct research in the area of Computational Biology and Genomics. You will work in a highly integrated environment as part of a multi-disciplinary team to develop new methods, tools, and workflows for integrative analysis of large scale multi-omics data. This position is in the Human Health Sciences Group of the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division.
- Conduct research in the field of computational biology tackling challenging problems of biology and human health.
- Process, analyze and interpret large-scale NGS data, including bulk RNA-seq, single-cell/spatial sequencing data, CHIP-seq and ATAC-Seq.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research at seminars, technical meetings, national and international conferences.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment and other national laboratories and industry to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Biological Mathematics, Data Science or related fields, with background in enabling novel biological findings from large-scale ‘omics’ data.
- Experience with analysis of NGS data and knowledge/ familiarity with various platforms and NGS protocols.
- Experince in single cell/spatial transcriptomic data analysis and integrative multi-omics approaches is a strong plus.
- Experience with programming languages such as R, Python and/or Perl.
- Skilled in descriptive analysis and data visualization.
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system and statistical knowledge.
- Strong genetics, genomics and molecular biology background.
- Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills to collaborate effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to prioritize workload and incorporate feedback at a professional manner
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in DNA and RNA purification methods and sequencing library preparation.
- Experience in Data Mining and Machine Learning.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL’s hiring practices:
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training fee or submit personal documents like bank account details, passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card information as part of the application process.
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility, a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport number, and/or Social Security number. To vet the authenticity of the employee please have them provide you their name and phone number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant messaging systems.
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain “@llnl.gov” or via their applicant tracking system, firstname.lastname@example.org . Occasionally LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job opportunities. If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will always be directed to our career page to apply through our career site.
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL’s careers page at www.llnl.gov/join-our-team/careers if they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) is the go-to laboratory for science and technology solutions to the toughest and most important problems affecting national and global security. If you are interested in contributing to pushing the frontiers of knowledge to build the scientific and technological foundation that will be needed to address national security issues, then we invite you to apply.
7000 East Avenue
Get job alerts
Create a job alert and receive personalised job recommendations straight to your inbox.Create alert