Principal RF Engineer (Team Leader)
Title: Principal RF Engineer (Team Leader)
Reports to: Head of Photonics and RF
Based at: Newport
Contract Type: Permanent – Full time
Do you relish the challenge being part of a growing business, a team, an industry, and seeing the energy you help generate? Are you at your best when contributing to a range of projects and collaborating across teams to solve the problems of the future?
Within CSA Catapult we look beyond the status quo. We look to employ people based on ability and attitude; we measure what you deliver and how you do it. We encourage collaboration in everything we do as we value the diversity of thought that we each bring to every challenge.
Who are we? The next wave of emerging technologies will have an enormous impact on our lives. 5G communications will enable a host of new and exciting applications such as connected autonomous vehicles and multimedia services. Increasing demand for clean energy will require new electricity networks, while advanced sensing will open-up new opportunities for health diagnostics and security. These developments will be underpinned by Compound Semiconductor (CS) technologies.
We are a Not for Profit organisation; here to help the UK economy grow, and we work across the UK with a range of industry sectors from automotive to medical, and from digital communications to aerospace. Through employing leading minds and investing in technology, we help bridge the gap between idea and implementation by removing the barriers often faced by SMEs.
We have an expanding multi-disciplinary technology team that is undergoing rapid growth and so we need to expand our RF team with an individual to work in a diverse environment on a range of R&D programmes.
CSA Catapult is committed to supporting and upholding diversity, equality, and inclusion in everything we do. A commitment to embrace and advocate for inclusion is an essential part of all roles.
- Line management of RF/microwave engineering team, providing coaching and mentoring, and addressing skills gaps
- Work closely with Head of Tech to ensure team is in-line with company strategy
- Act as a strategic thinker responsible for the development of new and emerging technologies
- Technical lead for multiple, complex collaborative and commercial RF/microwave R&D projects for a variety of customer applications
- Plan projects, estimate resources to budget, and work on bids, technical proposals, and quotations, working closely with the bid team and project management team
- Innovate RF/microwave system designs using Compound Semiconductor RF semiconductors and develop corresponding demonstrators
- Support the activities of the RF/Microwave team as well as collaborate with the other engineering functions of Advanced Packaging, Power Electronics and Photonics to deliver cross functional projects.
- Technical Reporting to project team and wider audience to demonstrate regular progress.
- Technical risk assessment
About you; you will have
- Experience of leading or co-ordinating technical teams
- Significant relevant engineering industry experience, being recognised as an expert in your domain
- A clear and in-depth understanding of how RF systems are designed and developed
- Proven experience in acting as a TA, or equivalent, on technology products and projects ideally across a multitude of different markets
- Proven experience in multi-disciplinary engineering activities including design, test, manufacture, and instrumentation development
- Master’s degree/PhD level qualification within RF
- Good understanding of applications and markets for RF/ Microwave, particularly in the UK.
- Experience of working with compound semiconductors including GaN and/or GaAs
- Power Amplifier/front end module architectures with design and characterisation experience
- Industrially proven analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to quickly understand complex issues and to propose solutions.
- Excellent team working skills with the ability to work collaboratively and cooperatively with colleagues getting the best out of the people around you
- Systems engineering approach to projects
- 8D problem solving methodology
- Familiar with engineering lifecycle management
- History of translating research output into working prototypes
- Skills in EDS, ADS or AWR
- Previous experience in defence or communications
Behaviours and attributes
- Enthusiasm, drive, and commitment
- Able to translate technical jargon and processes into something accessible
- A team player; understanding that the value you bring is more than the sum of a job description. Able to bring people together both inside and outside a business to share a common goal
- Tenacious and versatile; you’re excited at the idea of multiple projects
- Mobile; collaborating will mean getting out of the office from time to time, though overnighting is likely very minimal
What do we offer?
- Up to £60,000 salary (FTE)
- Staff bonus scheme
- 37.5 hour full time working week but can consider part time or job share suggestions
- Development – as you grow in the role we will support you throughout that journey
- Payment for a professional membership each year
- Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. The balance of your hours can be worked around what works for you
- Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we’ll put in 10%
- 28 days leave plus 8 bank holidays
- Holiday carryover
- Private medical insurance for you and your family
- Life Assurance
- A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with.