Power Electronics Engineer
Title: Power Electronics Engineer
Reports to: Principal Power Electronics Engineer (Team Lead)
Based at: Newport
Contract Type: Permanent – Full time
Here at Compound Semiconductor Applications (CSA) Catapult we are focused on bringing compound semiconductor applications to life in three key areas: the road to Net Zero, future telecoms and intelligent sensing.
We are a Not for Profit organisation based in South Wales. We focus on three technology areas: Power Electronics, RF & Microwave and Photonics and have an Advanced Packaging team for these high-power innovations.
This is an excellent opportunity to take the next step in your Power Electronics career and be part of a small, friendly and progressive and experienced team working on cutting edge technology. We are passionate about internal development with ongoing training opportunities both internally and externally to help you learn new skills and reinforce existing ones.
CSA Catapult is committed to supporting and upholding diversity, equality, and inclusion in everything we do. A commitment to embrace and advocate for inclusion is an essential part of all roles.
Our Engineers have different focuses and we have outlined the 2 key specialisms that we would be looking for. If you have the experience specified in any one of the below roles please send in your CV indicating which you are applying for.
Power Electronics Junior Engineer/ Engineer (Two positions are available)
- Having a degree level in Electrical or Electronic Engineering with some sort of an industrial experience in power electronics.
- You should have some of the following key skills:
- Proficiency in some of the following modelling tools: ANSYS ELECTRONICS DESKTOP, SIwave, COMSOL MULTIPHYSICS, SolidWorks, MATLAB.
- Experience / knowledge in numerical modelling and optimization of electromagnetic and PCBs.
- Experience / knowledge in modelling multi-physics coupled problems such as thermal and electromagnetic modelling of semiconductor devices.
- Experience / knowledge in designing magnetic components for power electronics converters for various applications.
- Experience / knowledge in performing lifetime testing for semiconductor devices.
- Experience / knowledge in performing environmental tests: vibration, thermal and mechanical shock.
- Experience / knowledge in packaged SiC/GaN devices thermal characterisation.
- Hands on testing / test set-up experience.
Behaviours and attributes
- Enthusiasm, drive, and commitment
- Able to translate technical jargon and processes into something accessible
- A team player; understanding that the value you bring is more than the sum of a job description. Able to bring people together both inside and outside a business to share a common goal
- Tenacious and versatile; you’re excited at the idea of multiple projects
- Mobile; collaborating will mean getting out of the office from time to time, though overnighting is likely very minimal
What do we offer?
- Up to £50,000 salary (FTE)
- Staff bonus scheme
- 37.5 hour full time working week but can consider part time or job share suggestions
- Development – as you grow in the role we will support you throughout that journey
- Payment for a professional membership each year
- Flexible working – we operate core hours of 10-4. The balance of your hours can be worked around what works for you
- Generous pension scheme – e.g. you put in 5% and we’ll put in 10%
- 28 days leave plus 8 bank holidays
- Holiday carryover
- Private medical insurance for you and your family
- Life Assurance
- A happy, healthy working environment and great group of people to work with.