Trainee Safety Case Engineer
Magnox is an exciting place to be, and this role is the perfect opportunity for you to be part of our challenging mission - to safely and successfully manage the UK’s civil nuclear legacy on behalf of the nation. To deliver our commitment, we need people like you who want to perform at an industry leading standard and be part of a team that continues to develop, innovate and even exceed our greatest achievements.
At Magnox, we understand, and acknowledge the value of an inclusive working environment, and celebrate the diversity this brings to our workplace. Without this approach, we wouldn’t be in the position that we are now, being able to safeguard and secure the future of our organisation.
Hear from the Hiring Manager
"This is an exciting development opportunity for an enthusiastic scientist or engineer to join the nuclear safety case team supporting decommissioning projects at Harwell and Winfrith. The successful candidate will be supported in completing a personal development plan to allow progression to a Safety Case Engineer (anticipated to take 1-2 years to complete).
During this training period, the post holder will provide a range of technical support to the safety case team and initial safety case assessments will be under the supervision of more senior team members."
Key Deliverables – during training period
- Under supervision, produce and support the production of safety case documentation for facilities and decommissioning/engineering projects.
- Resolve technical problems within own capability and responsibility.
- Strive to meet customer needs individually and as part of team efforts.
- Ensure that work is completed to the requirements of the specifications, including safety and quality aspects.
- Seek and identify opportunities to improve own knowledge, skills and behaviours in line with business priorities and own development programme.
Key Deliverables – upon completion of training period
- Implement strategies for individual safety cases acting as author or verifier.
- Write and/or verify safety cases in accordance with company standards.
- Manage the production of safety cases to support the delivery of projects within the Lifetime Plan.
- Prepare and amend operating instructions and procedures to implement the limits and conditions arising from safety cases.
- Advise and where appropriate train staff on implications of proposed submissions.
- Provide advice and guidance on applications of safety case methodology and principles.
Qualifications & Experience
- Essential qualifications - A broad knowledge of engineering standards evidenced by a Degree (NQF level 6) but as a minimum HNC (NQF level 5) in engineering or science, or significant appropriate equivalent experience
- Progression is available within the pay bands which does exceed the higher end of the range provided
- Flexible working – where possible
- 25 days (equivalent) annual leave - option to buy or sell up to 5 days each year
- Participation in Company Bonus Scheme (up to £4,500 per annum based on corporate objectives)
- Up to 13.5% employer pension contribution depending on individual contribution amount
- Access to training and development through the company performance management arrangements, supporting you in maintaining your personal Continuous Professional Development
Please be aware this role holder requires security clearance, or the ability to obtain said clearance
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best.
At Magnox we are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive, we therefore particularly welcome applications from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBT+ and candidates with a disability as they are all underrepresented in our workforce.
We are happy to talk flexible working where possible.