Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory (known as Fermilab) seeks highly qualified candidates for an Associate Scientist focusing on high intensity running in the Main Injector department.
The Main Injector Department operates the largest Fermilab Accelerator which currently delivers a peak beam power of 850 kW at 120 GeV. We have a series of planned upgrades to increase the beam power to 1.2 MW and eventually to 2.4 MW. The Accelerator performance at these power levels represents a challenge and needs to be well understood.
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and South Dakota and at locations around the world, including Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
The position is for a period of up to three (3) years, with the potential for extension considered on a yearly basis thereafter.
- Perform accelerator studies addressing challenges for future high intensity running.
- Use Accelerator codes to perform beam simulations and predict future machine performance.
- Travel to conferences and present reports on your work.
- Be able to take control room shifts as required.
- Share in the on-call responsibilities of the department
- Abide by all environment, safety, and health regulations.
- Demonstrate potential to make contributions to the Laboratory that will subsequently qualify them for appointment as a Scientist.
Qualifications and Essential Job Functions
- Ph.D. in Experimental Physics or Engineering
- At least three (3) years of postdoctoral research experience (or equivalent) in accelerator physics, particle physics, or relevant discipline.
- Experience with accelerator physics and techniques is desirable.
- Ability to work effectively with other individuals and within groups of varying composition.
- A record of scientific accomplishments, publications, and other products of research.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills, including the preparation and delivery of papers, reports, and presentations.
- Respect, understand, and value individual differences that embody the principles of diversity.
Interested candidates should submit via Academic Jobs Online:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Publication List
- Three Reference Letters (to be submitted by the reference writers at the AJO site).
For general information about this position, please contact Rob Ainsworth at (firstname.lastname@example.org).
All FRA employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19, unless the employee is legally entitled to an accommodation based on a medical condition/disability or a sincerely held religious belief.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and believes a diverse and inclusive environment based on mutual respect is essential to our mission. Fermilab is committed to recruiting and developing the most hardworking people and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, country of birth, geography/postal code, disability, marital status, parental or gestational status, or other non-merit factors.