2021-2 Call for IBS Young Scientist Fellowship
1. IBS Young Scientist Fellowship
With the vision of “Making discoveries for humanity and society,” the Institute for Basic Science (IBS) was founded in 2011 by the Korean government to promote basic science in Korea. To date, IBS operates one institute and 30 Research Centers which have been yielding outstanding results in various research fields.
The IBS Young Scientist Fellowship started in 2016 to play an active role in fostering the next generation of basic science leaders. This Fellowship offers junior scientists opportunities to conduct independent research with state-of-the-art research infrastructure of IBS and to grow on the basis of research collaborations with leading researchers.
We hope that the Fellowship serves as a stepping stone for our researchers to mature into leading researchers in basic science.
2. Eligibility & Hiring Research Centers
Please refer to our website(www.ibs.re.kr/ysf)
3. Benefits and Conditions
- Full-time work and 100% research participation in principle
- If successful candidates for the Fellowship are selected for other projects (e.g., Sejong Science Fellowship and Young Researcher Program of the National Research Foundation), their selection as Young Scientist Fellows (YSFs) may be cancelled. During the Fellowship term, participating in other projects funded by sources outside IBS are not allowed.
- Annual fund of KRW 150–300 mil. (up to KRW 150 mil. for theoretical fields and up to KRW 300 mil. for experimental fields), including salary of KRW 60–70 mil.
- YSFs will work at one of the IBS Centers and conduct independent research with research facilities and equipment of their Center. YSFs may organize small research groups.
- YSFs should prioritize using the advanced research infrastructure of their Center in conducting research. Although they may construct research equipment and facilities within their budget, the construction scale and timing may be adjusted through review.
- Appointment for three years with a possible two-year extension depending on the performance review results
- When current IBS researchers are selected as a YSF of their Center, support will be offered for up to three years.
- Successful candidates must be appointed and commence their research within the second half of 2022 (1 July–31 December 2022).
- If their appointment and research commencement are not completed within 2022, their selection may be cancelled.
- When the Center to which a YSF group belongs is closed, the YSF group will also be closed in principle.
- Please refer to the FAQ for details.
4. How to Apply: IBS website at https://www.ibs.re.kr/ysf/apply by 28 January 2022 (KST)
5. Inquiries: Talent Acquisition and Development Team at email@example.com or IBS website at https://www.ibs.re.kr/ysf