2022 CDT PhD Studentships
CDT in Science and Applications of Graphene and Related Nanomaterials (Graphene NOWNANO)
4-year PhD Studentships available for UK applicants
Graphene NOWNANO is a well-established Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT) based at the University of Manchester in partnership with Lancaster University. It builds on the world-leading expertise in the science and technology of graphene and other two-dimensional (2D) materials at Manchester and Lancaster to offer a broad interdisciplinary CDT. PhD students receive initial state-of-the-art training in fundamentals of graphene/2D materials, their applications, and key techniques. This is followed by a 3½ year research project that you will select from 30+ top-rated research groups across 9 disciplines/university departments (Experimental and Theoretical Physics, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science, Materials Science, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Pharmacy, Biomaterials, Nanotechnology for Medicine).
There are currently 80 students active across 4 year groups in the CDT offering excellent opportunities for sharing expertise and exchange of ideas. Extra opportunities on offer: student conferences, innovation and commercialisation training, joint events with other CDTs, outreach events. These contribute to building a group of outstanding scientists that will help to lead world research in graphene and other nanomaterials and development of their applications in the future.
Applications are invited for fully-funded PhD places. We welcome applications from graduates with a good degree (first or high upper second) in science, engineering or bio-medical disciplines looking for a challenging research project in an interdisciplinary environment. Places are available to UK nationals resident in the UK for >3 years. EU/International students are welcome to apply providing they have their own funding.
- 6-month training in fundamentals of 2D materials and core research techniques, including 2 mini-projects in a choice of labs
- Secondment opportunities to gain industry related skills or experience in research labs abroad
- Cutting-edge research where you will develop interdisciplinary skills
- Choice of experimental, theoretical and computational projects
- Fundamental science of graphene and other two-dimensional materials;
- Experimental and theoretical physics of nanodevices based on 2D materials;
- 2D heterostructures: materials on demand;
- Synthesis, fabrication, characterisation and modelling of 2D materials;
- Applications of graphene and other 2D materials in:
- Filtration and separation
- Drug delivery
- Regenerative medicine…
How to apply:
September 2022 applications should be made online from 7 October 2021 at:
For details visit: