Location - Reading area
Package - £34,000 - c£44,000 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) offers an attractive array of benefits which include:
- Market leading contributory pension scheme
- Generous holiday entitlement (270 hours a year, including Bank Holidays, plus every other Friday off)
- Flexible working hours
- Salary sacrifice scheme
- Consideration for either full time or part time hours. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Relocation package available (terms and conditions apply
Purpose of role:
Successful candidates will gain first-hand experience of working in the vibrant field of HPC motivated by multi-physics science problems. The HPC group provides scientific computing support to the user community at AWE with significant HPC real estate at its disposal. In addition, there exists multiple small development platforms with novel architectures that are routinely used for code porting and research related activities. The role will involve interacting with code scientists and system administrators to contribute to a variety of support, research, and development activities within all levels of our HPC software and hardware. This opportunity is unique and only a handful of sites in the UK will offer access to compute platforms at the scale that we regularly operate.
Our software stack varies ranging from low level machine code to high level languages such as Python and everything in between. The hardware infrastructure includes Linux workstation deployments to supercomputer blades with direct liquid cooling. Our core network infrastructures are purpose built to deal with very large data packets generated by our supercomputers that you are unlikely to find in other commercial organisations in the UK.
- Providing appropriate assistance for porting specific codes to new platforms
- Design, coding, testing, installation, and maintenance of software modules
- Production of suitable online documentation
- Interacting with vendors, universities, and US laboratories on leading-edge research
- Research level investigation of advanced novel techniques for solution of multi-physics problems
- Development of relevant benchmarks for assessing current and future systems
- Maintaining an awareness of current and future developments in the HPC field
This role will be ideally suited to someone with postgraduate with some industrial experience. To be considered for this role, you'll need some or all of the following:
- The ability to programme in C, C++, Fortran, or a similar high-level language
- Knowledge of computer architectures, in particular, parallel architectures and their applicability to running large scientific calculations
- Familiarity with parallel programming concepts and software development life cycles
- An interest in processing technologies: software, hardware, and algorithms together with their use and application
- Experience of using debuggers and performance analysis tools would be advantageous
- Knowledge of open-source software
- Experience of working in Unix/Linux environment
- Ability to capture software requirements and produce appropriate implementations
- Software testing experience
- Familiarity with scripting languages - e.g., bash, python
- Ability to write in clear and concise language on technical matters and summarise and present such material effectively
- A Degree or equivalent experience in Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or other numerate discipline (a post graduate qualification (MSc/PhD), or equivalent experience, is highly desirable)
Candidates must be willing and able to obtain and maintain the necessary security clearance for the role.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom, by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.