JOB TITLE: Managing Editor
To proactively develop journals in order to deliver growth in terms of published content. To build relationships with authors and editors such that journals meet or exceed their published content targets.
- Manage peer review processes within agreed timeframes, as required; ensure that all published content meets required ethical and scientific standards recommend changes to peer review processes to improve efficiency.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to ensure that journals publish high quality content consistently and in a timely manner.
- If required, successfully negotiate editor and society contract renewals, produce profit and loss statements, prepare draft contracts and lead contract approval process through to contract signature.
- Undertake to maintain strong subject knowledge within allocated journal fields, including via national and international conference attendance when required.
- Guide the editorial strategy of the allocated journals, in line with SAGE’s wider strategy.
- Develop the quality, profile, market share, budget and financial performance of journals within the assigned portfolios, in line with SAGE’s wider strategy.
- Build and maintain positive relationships across SAGE and with external partners, including journal editors and boards.
- Undertake any ethical peer review investigations, plagiarism, and duplication concerns on journals within assigned portfolio.
- Monitor and stay within own agreed travel budget.
SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Graduate in engineering or physical sciences (MSc, or BSc with appropriate peer-review experience)
- Experience in journals publishing
- Good commercial awareness
- High level communication and interpersonal skills
- Strategic awareness, including a detailed understanding of industry trends and best practice
- Excellent prioritisation skills and a high level of adaptability
- Proficient in standard IT packages, including Microsoft Office
This job description is not contractual. To perform this role successfully, you must be able to perform each of the key accountabilities satisfactorily. To meet changes in business operational, procedural or technical requirements SAGE may add, remove or amend/change the accountabilities for this role and you should be aware that this job description is not exhaustive and you may be asked to undertake reasonable tasks and activities outside those for which you are primarily employed.
SAGE UK is committed to Diversity and Inclusion and is an equal opportunities employer. We value individuality and therefore welcome all qualified applications from a diverse range of candidates.