Springer Nature opens the doors to discovery for researchers, educators, clinicians and other professionals. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals, platforms and technology solutions reach millions of people. For over 175 years our brands and imprints have been a trusted source of knowledge to these communities and today, more than ever, we see it as our responsibility to ensure that fundamental knowledge can be found, verified, understood and used by our communities – enabling them to improve outcomes, make progress, and benefit the generations that follow.
Visit: group.springernature.com and follow @SpringerNature
Title: Associate or Senior Editor (Machine Learning and Data Science), Nature Communications
Organization: Nature Communications
Location: Shanghai, Beijing, Nanjing, Hong Kong, New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Jersey City (hybrid)
Closing date: 22 September 2023 (Candidates will be considered as they apply)
Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications.
Nature Communications is the leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality scientific research. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we’re seeking a researcher with a background in any area of machine learning and data science, who has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet.
The Associate/Senior Editor role at Nature Communications is ideal for researchers who love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world and for those who enjoy reading papers outside their chosen area of research.
The responsibilities include:
- Handling original research papers, and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review.
- Making well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice.
- Determining the representation of their subject in the journal.
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with experts in the international scientific community.
- Attending conferences and visiting research institutions.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in physics or mathematics or computer science. This could include, but is not limited to machine learning, data science, algorithms, statistical physics, thermodynamics etc.
- Some postdoctoral research experience is preferred but not essential. A thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the subject is essential.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your specialty and across the wider field of statistics and machine learning.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
This role can be located in our Shanghai, Beijing, Nanjing, Hong Kong, New York, Washington, Philadelphia, Jersey City (hybrid) office. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
Applicants should include a CV, a cover letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and a separate concise (300-400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments in any area related to machine learning or data science that they found particularly exciting, stating why.
US employees are eligible for benefits including, but not limited to, medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability, life and AD&D insurance, tuition assistance, employee assistance program, paid vacation and sick time, flexible spending accounts, and a 401k retirement savings plan.
In order to comply with various pay transparency laws and legislations in the United States, the salary range and benefits for this position are included. This information is only applicable to US-based candidates and the actual salary offer may vary based on work experience, education and skill level. Salary ranges differ by country due to various local market considerations. The US salary range does not align with the salary ranges in other countries when converted to the currency of that country.
Annualized Base Salary Range (US ONLY): Associate Editor: $74,000 / Senior Editor: $91,000
Internal applicants: We encourage that you speak to your manager once the interview process has started. At the point of offer acceptance, it is required that you inform your manager. If for any reason you’re unable to do so, please contact HR who can provide guidance as required.
At Springer Nature we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles. Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.