Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$153,210 - $196,788 Annually for the SES.3 level
$183,840 - $236,112 Annually for the SES.4 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Mathematical Physics Research Scientists to join a vibrant team conducting research in decision support methods across a broad mission space. You will pursue research in data modeling, foundations of machine learning and optimal control, and computational methods for applications to both scientific and national security programs. This position is in the Physics Division/Applied Physics Section in the Astronomy and Astrophysics Analytics Group.
These positions will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
- Develop and apply mathematical and computational techniques for both scientific and national security mission applications;
- Conduct analytic and statistical modeling, numerical analysis, signal processing, computer simulations, and data visualization technical work;
- Effectively use available computing architectures for project execution, to include high-performance computing (HPC) systems;
- Conduct self-initiated research, maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas, publish research in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings;
- Work as part of inter-disciplinary teams of scientists and engineers to achieve mission-oriented deliverables on externally driven timelines;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Develop and lead new research projects based on accumulated scientific expertise, including pursuit of external funding and program development opportunities;
- Lead the invention and development of new mathematical, statistical, and computational models as needed to meet open-ended project goals;
- Lead project updates and briefings to sponsors, visitors to LLNL, and senior managers;
- Effectively manage and deliver impactful contributions to multiple simultaneous technical projects that may span different organizations across the lab;
- Mentor students, postdocs, and/or early-career staff in research and technical skills.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship;
- PhD in Physics, Mathematics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience;
- Research background in one or more of the following: theoretical cosmology, particle, statistical, or mathematical physics, computational physics modeling, high-performance computing, or optimal control and signal processing;
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to complex scientific and technical problems;
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific publications, and deliver scientific presentations;
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Significant experience initiating and leading scientific and technical research projects and teams and securing competitive funding for scientific research in the form of research grants or sponsored research projects;
- Extensive experience developing novel mathematical, statistical, or physics-based solutions to technical problems as evidenced by research publications or past technical project deliverables;
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and to engage productively with sponsors, visitors, and senior managers;
- Experience recruiting and mentoring students, postdocs, or staff.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in leadership and organization of scientific research teams, including management of software development and communication;
- Experience with quantum physics research;
- Experience communicating the results of scientific and technical research to a broad audience;
- Experience working in the U.S. national security community.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
How to identify fake job advertisements
Please be aware of recruitment scams where people or entities are misusing the name of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to post fake job advertisements. LLNL never extends an offer without a personal interview and will never charge a fee for joining our company. All current job openings are displayed on the Career Page under “Find Your Job” of our website. If you have encountered a job posting or have been approached with a job offer that you suspect may be fraudulent, we strongly recommend you do not respond.
To learn more about recruitment scams: https://www.llnl.gov/sites/www/files/2023-05/LLNL-Job-Fraud-Statement-Updated-4.26.23.pdf
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.