BAE Systems Digital Intelligence is home to 4,500 digital, cyber and intelligence experts. We work collaboratively across 10 countries to collect, connect and understand complex data, so that governments, nation states, armed forces and commercial businesses can unlock digital advantage in the most demanding environments.
BAE Systems’ DataBridge 6 is a market leading Lawful Intercept solution that’s deployed in communication (CSP) networks. Communications Service Providers CSP’s are in the spotlight like never before. As terrorists and organised criminals make increasing use of social media and smartphones to facilitate their crimes and activities, the data they generate – which is transported by CSPs – is of huge value to Law Enforcement and National Security Agencies. It now forms a key element in their efforts to monitor threats, detect crimes and investigate and prosecute criminals.
The DataBridge team has an exciting opportunity for an experienced System Engineer with a strong Linux systems background, to aid in the design, test and deployment of our solution into our customers’ networks. Our System Engineer will have high levels of interaction with internal and external stakeholders and they will be given a significant amount of autonomy so they can use their strong analytical skills to find solutions to complex software and hardware problems.
This role is hybrid with a mix of home based working and days in the Guildford office when required.
You will be responsible for owning the system requirements and system-level architecture, coordinating with the various development, test and deployment teams, and also some hands-on aspects - including setting up and configuring hardware, deploying the system to internal testing or customer premises, and training customers in the system’s use.
If this sounds like your next career move then apply now!
What you could be doing?
- Working within a large multi-disciplinary team on customer & project based Systems Engineering;
- Carrying out requirements analysis, evolution and development;
- Customer liaison and being a technical lead and authority for projects;
- Rapid proto-typing and development of demonstration systems;
- Technical contribution to bids including estimation;
- Customer support, fault investigation and troubleshooting.
What skills and experience are we looking for?
- You will have a broad technical background: someone who can investigate, design, deploy and test software and platforms;
- Experience with designing production systems. Methods of business continuity, disaster proofing, load balancing, data replication/backup and HA;
- Good level of experience on the Linux command line and configuration of core Linux system services;
- Strong knowledge of networking, common protocols, telecommunications networking, OSI model and traffic analysis;
- Experience with virtualization and orchestration technologies (for example VMWare, Openstack, AWS);
- Experience with KVM, ESXI and Xen hypervisors;
- Configuration management technologies (Ansible, Chef, Puppet etc.);
- You will be confident designing, configuring and maintaining statistics monitoring solutions such as ELK, TICK stacks. Preferably experience with Logstash, InfluxDB and Grafana;
- Experience deploying and testing server hardening and security benchmarks such as CIS;
- A highly motivated problem-solver, you will approach problems in a hands-on, practical manner;
- Excellent team worker and able to understand other roles in the team and how to help each othe;
- Quickly learn and apply new technologies and able to think on your feet in a fast paced environment.
Other useful skills and experience:
- Knowledge of web UI and front end architecture;
- Moderate scripting abilities using BASH, Python or Perl;
- Understanding of software test approaches, frameworks, tools and test automation techniques; ideally at a range of levels: unit, integration and system test;
- An understanding of the principles of version control and release management. Ideally with experience of a version control tool such as Git or Perforce;
- An understanding of Agile practices and frameworks;
- Moderate background in Windows Server and Windows domain (Active directory, Group Policy etc.);
- Server hardware knowledge; Background on REST APIs; MySQL database experience.
How we will support you:
- Work-life balance is important; you’ll get 25 days holiday a year and, via our flexible benefits package the option to buy/sell and carry over from the year before;
- Our flexible benefits package includes; private medical and dental insurance, a competitive pension scheme, cycle to work scheme, taste cards and more;
- You’ll have a dedicated Career Manager to help you develop your career and guide you on your journey through BAE;
- Don’t know a particular technology? Your learning and development is key to your future career;
- You’ll be part of our bonus scheme;
- You are welcome to join any/all of our Diversity and Support groups. These groups cover everything from gender diversity to mental health and well being.
Only those with the permanent and unrestricted right to live and work in the UK will be considered. Due to the nature of our work, successful candidates for this role will be required to go through Government security clearance prior to starting with us. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance.
Life at BAE Systems Digital Intelligence
We are embracing Hybrid Working. This means you and your colleagues may be working in different locations, such as from home, another BAE Systems office or client site, some or all of the time, and work might be going on at different times of the day.
By embracing technology, we can interact, collaborate and create together, even when we’re working remotely from one another. Hybrid Working allows for increased flexibility in when and where we work, helping us to balance our work and personal life more effectively, and enhance well-being.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Digital Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds – the best and brightest minds – can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential.
Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Digital Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Digital Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.