We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving.
We are looking for talented engineers to join our Synthetic Environments and Simulation team, a vibrant group of engineers from a range of scientific, mathematical and creative backgrounds.
The team undertakes a variety of work to deliver for our customers’ needs in training and mission rehearsal, test and evaluation, and experimentation across the full project life-cycle. This involves researching innovative technologies, building concept and capability demonstrators, providing customer advice and consultancy, and developing and delivering systems to support military exercises.
Candidates should have a good first degree or PhD and significant work experience in a similar industry.
As part of our continued focus and investment in Training and Mission Rehearsal, we’re looking for individuals who can provide subject matter expertise and lead the delivery of technical and engineering output across a range of customer projects, internal investments or strategic captures.
In this role, the successful candidate will develop technical solutions and system architectures to meet customer requirements in the Training and Mission Rehearsal area. This will include high level system design and detailed component and interface specification for bids, as well as hands on technical development and leading technical teams during project delivery.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
We’re particularly interested in individuals with broad understanding of modelling and simulation concepts and technologies that may include knowledge and skills in some of the following areas:
- Distributed and federated simulation. Applying standards such as DIS, HLA and DDS or more broadly the DMaSC Modelling and Simulation Standards Profile (DMSP);
- Tactical environment simulation. Including knowledge and understanding of threat representation or environment modelling and associated tools/ technologies such as Image Generation and visualisation of tactical or geospatial information. Experience with games engines such as VBS or Unity may be beneficial;
- Live, Virtual and Constructive (LVC) blends. Concepts and principles underpinning LVC systems for Operational Training or Test & Evaluation, including awareness of how simulations can safely and effectively interact with operational communications, command and control systems;
- Future and emerging technologies: Awareness of future technology trends, able to explore new concepts through technology-based research, and able to create appropriate solutions using novel and emerging technologies that meet future capability requirements;
- Broad understanding of computer architectures and network design, including virtualisation, IP communication and routing and security protocols.
- A first degree in Science or Engineering, or an equivalent nationally recognised, professional qualification, with further on the job experience and growth of key skills, working in the domain and backed up with a tangible track record of achievement. Holders would be expected to have fulfilled the requirements to attain full professional membership of a relevant body or similar accreditation. Candidates may have a background in Systems Engineering, Simulation Engineering, Systems Integration or Software Engineering;
- Demonstrable success shaping and delivering solutions that require technical leadership and risk management across a range of engineering and technical disciplines, particularly where they have involved development of simulations and synthetic environments for training, research or decision support;
- Demonstrable success in leading and managing teams in complex projects and in the development and progression of individuals and overall capability;
- Experience identifying and managing technical risk as well as awareness of wider considerations for bidding and project delivery, such as commercial, financial, security and intellectual property.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake a vetting process and maintain appropriate security clearance.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: guidance for applicants - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there’s never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation and having the courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You’ll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you’ll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Read more about our diverse and inclusive workplace culture here.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You’ll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what’s happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. QinetiQ is made up of dedicated experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets, all working together to explore new ways of protecting what matters most. Being part of QinetiQ means being central to the safety and security of the world around us. Partnering with our customers, we help to save lives; reduce risks to society; and maintain the global infrastructure on which we all depend. Come and find out how you can play a role.
Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.